Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Thomas

What is the typical ridership for the Hamptons during Summer Weekends?
  by Fla East Coast Chris

crowds going east and the same coming west.. On Sunday the best thing is a extra train that leaves Montauk around 1126 am kinda takes the brunt off later trains.. Lets see what 4th of July weekend brings... THEN THERE IS JULY 18th going out and JULY 20th coming back.. Should be interesting that weeeknd
  by peconicstation

The closest figure that I can give you is just after the end of last Summer's peak season the LIRR was quoted in an article the during the peak season (4th of July to labor Day), an average of just over 8,000 people would board the Sunday westbound trains from Zone 14 stations Montauk to Westhampton. The article further stated that Sunday peak season ridership increased about 20% in the past
5 years.

Ken
  by Amtrak7

There is an average 2005-2010 Friday count in the 2010 ridership book

Some counts are taken on a weekly basis, but those aren't released to the public.

There is a protect set of equipment that heads out to Montauk Saturday night and leaves shortly after 8721. The busiest trains are the Cannonball on Friday and 8703/8705 on Sundays (although if the rush in Penn Station is any sign, 2716 seems to get a huge load too)
  by RGlueck

In the days of the heavyweights, parlor cars were carpeted with single swivel chairs and wait service. Ridership tended to be those in the upper-middle class or elite, wealthier people. What are the cars like today, and who rides them?
  by SPEONKNY

What's the deal with the Monday morning off-peak train from the Hamptons to Hunterspoint Ave? I boarded July 7 at Sayville and there literally wasn't a seat to be had, with still another stop at Bayshore. People were sitting on the stairs and on the floor.

How many cars does this train usually consist of; it appeared that it may have been short equipment? Can you tell me if it's like this every Monday or just that way because of 4th July and/or equipment shortage.
  by dedm30junk

Its usually 5 or 6 cars the most for train 2705 on Monday mornings.
  by Amtrak7

SPEONKNY wrote:What's the deal with the Monday morning off-peak train from the Hamptons to Hunterspoint Ave? I boarded July 7 at Sayville and there literally wasn't a seat to be had, with still another stop at Bayshore. People were sitting on the stairs and on the floor.

How many cars does this train usually consist of; it appeared that it may have been short equipment? Can you tell me if it's like this every Monday or just that way because of 4th July and/or equipment shortage.
The train normally has 4 or 5 cars, though it's scheduled for 6.
I would never have guessed that the train was as heavily loaded as you describe, it was 3 minutes early by Valley Stream.
Fla East Coast Chris wrote:THEN THERE IS JULY 18th going out and JULY 20th coming back.. Should be interesting that weeeknd
I wonder what the patterns will look like, given the strike threat. Will Friday ridership be significantly reduced, or will everyone attempt to return on the Saturday trains? What will happen to the 4 sets of equipment (2708, 2712, 2718, 8712) that will be stuck in Montauk Yard at zero hour?