• Hamburg-Selkirk "mess" effects on shortlines

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by O-6-O

As a side bar to the Ham-Sel mess so called, has anyone noticed any
effect on NYS shortlines? NYS&W seems to be slow clearing empties out
of NYMills (my neighborhood). Today they dropped a load of plywood
at a customer, on the same branch they respotted a load they dropped
a couple of weeks ago, moving but not taking an empty there. The
customer at the end of track takes loads of steel off of balkhead flats
and released one on 4/28. That flat remains there as they did not take
that either. While I,m not an expert on NYS&W car movements this
seemed odd to me. Could the CAT not be able to handle them? What
have you guys seen.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-

by SRS125

I'm suprised that NYS&W dose not take the cars south and hand them off to NS.

I have not seen any changes on Finger Lakes traffic seems to be booming as always counted 8 loaded Boxcars from Solvay, 1 empty CN Covered Hopper, 2 loaded Gondolas (out of Auburn) and 4 empty FGLK Double Plug Door Boxcars bound for Waterloo Train left Auburn at about 2:15p.m. heading to Geneva with B23-7 #2305. The Yard was loaded on Saterday. I beleve that 85% of the traffic bound for the Finger Lakes Railway and Ontario Central reseves and ships out gos by way of Norfolk Southern.

by trainfreak

There have been lesser amounts of cars going to the NYSW from CSX at DeWitt so that means smaller eatbound SU100's. In terms of outbound cars what seems to be the norm is that CSX lets them build up at DeWitt then CSX will hijack the ALCo and MLW's and use them to power a train with those cars out to Buffalo. The last one was 183 cars!
  by Matt Langworthy

CSX seems to be dropping fewer cars off for LAL at Genesee Jct than they used to. I don't know if this is a direct effect of the traffic problems that CSX is having, or if LAL prefers the R&S/NS connection.

by SRS125

Wensday the 4th I spoted an East bound CSX Fraght siting in Savannah, NY all 3 Units were siting across the street from the last house on Railroad Road. The First 2 Units one CSX and one Ex MPI unit were dead most likley shut down or run out of fuel the 3ed unit a CSX engion was still runing. Train was broken at the crossing with a gap of about 50 yards between them. All Cars were mostley New England Road Names so it would be my guess that this is or was a train going to Guilford. Train was still siting there as of Today (Thersday, May the 5th).

by O-6-O

Well I've traced an empty covered hopper from a NY Mills customer and
this is what I've found. It was picked up by NYS&W on the 10th, in Utica
on the 11th, to Bingo over night and on up to Dewitt where it is waybilled
on the 13th. As of today it's still in Dewitt. These cars(plastic pellets)
usually have a quick turn around there and head west promptly. Not any more.

STEAM ON
/--OOO--~-oo--oo-
  by Matt Langworthy

I wonder if this will create more traffic on the Southern Tier for NS? After all, they directly serve R&S and FGLK in competition with CSX.