• Hackensack Man Injured in Attempt to Photograph NJT Train

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by BigDell

was allegedly walking on the tracks at about 3 p.m., attempting to take a picture of the train, Snyder said.

When he realized the train was coming too close, Calvo stepped out of the way, but the train grazed his hand, Snyder said. He suffered minor cuts to his hand
.... lemme' get this straight.....

So he's walking on the tracks and realizes the train he wants to photograph is coming too close...
I mean....the mind reels.
As if the railroad needs another reason to discourage fandom..........
Well, thank goodness he wasn't seriously injured or even killed....
  by n2cbo

25Hz wrote:
RussNelson wrote:Exactly how is it that you need to be that close to a train to photograph it?
1 inch or less, as it speeds towards you, obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ZDXCd59-U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess this guy never heard of a telephoto lens...
  by Roadgeek Adam

n2cbo wrote:
25Hz wrote:
RussNelson wrote:Exactly how is it that you need to be that close to a train to photograph it?
1 inch or less, as it speeds towards you, obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8ZDXCd59-U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess this guy never heard of a telephoto lens...
There are more than enough safe places in Hackensack to photograph a train, even at Essex Street. Essex Street does have a gated crossing.

As an idiot myself, why are we giving such care to someone who did something stupid for the purpose railfanning?
  by Ken W2KB

snavely wrote:Have the lawsuit papers from his attorney been served on NJT yet?
Too soon. Under the NJ Tort Claims Act, to sue any NJ government entity a Notice of Claim has to be filed and claim denied. :wink:
  by John_Perkowski

Thank you all for your participation. Resolved, the railfan did not think or act safe.

When you're around live rail, always think and act safe.

To Mr Roadgeek, your question made so much sense to me, I got out my pruning shears.

We'll call this thread a day. Ken, thanks always for posting the news.