• Guilford wide-cab GP40 on Hampton Branch

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Jonny Bolt

I had "safety cab" in the description when I posted this thread. However it was edited for some unknown reason by a Moderator. I was never told why it was edited.

A320, my sis-in-law has also seen Gillfid come down here on a Sat. Ofcourse I always miss it.

Foss is doing well now, and was bought out, and they are even unionized now. So thats good for my brother who has been working there for over 10 years. So it looks like we are ok now as far as activity goes here, as seldom as it might be. Atleast there is some movement left! :)

The tracks are definitely old. The last passenger train to come through here was in like 1965 lol, and I dont think the tracks have been touched since HAHA. If you think they are bad here along the still active portion, come take a walk with me sometime South of Foss along the abandoned portion lol.
  by truman

This wasn't the first time one of Guilfords "comfort cabs" came down the Hampton branch. One (I think 515, but I can't quite remember) came down a few months after they were acquired. Usually the power is a standard cab 40-2. At least once, the power has been left on the run-around for the weekend. I don't know if this was due to mechanical problems or the crew simply timed out.
Hot tip is to look for the Hy-rail putting on in Hampton, usually early in the morning, this means that there will be a train down in the afternoon.
For the record, Hampton consists of the Foss siding, a run-around behind the abandoned Saxonville lumber, and a siding off the run-around for the abandoned Keifel building.
The new company that has taken over Foss really seems to have turned things around, as the company has a hiring spree in progress.
  by Jonny Bolt

truman wrote: Hot tip is to look for the Hy-rail putting on in Hampton, usually early in the morning, this means that there will be a train down in the afternoon.
Could elaborate some more on this? I do not understand "Hy-rail" etc. Thanks.

Ya, my bro says Foss is doing much better. He says moral is up. Which is good.

by Dick H

Hy-rail or hi-rail refers to vehicles, usually pick-up trucks, equipped with railroad wheels allowing them to run on the tracks. They are used most often by track personnel patrolling rail lines looking for defects, etc. GRS/PAR also has two Suburban SUVs with hi-rail equipment and both of their rail cranes, RC-75 and RC-130, have hi-rail equipment.

Since the Hampton branch receives little maintenance and is probably in Class #1 trackage with a 10 MPH speed limit, and in tough shape overall, it is prudent to patrol the line ahead of any train movement.

Dick H

by Jonny Bolt

Ah, I see. Thanks! Learn somethin new all the time on here :)

by GP40MC 1116

Jonny Bolt wrote:Ah, I see. Thanks! Learn somethin new all the time on here :)
Thats what most are here for, to help others. I mean no one person knows everything about New England Railroading :-D

by A320

It's pretty sad that nowadays even the slightest movement on the Eastern Branch in NH draws interest.

I was crossing the line at Breakfast Hill on Nov. 28 and noticed a piece of equipment on rails just north (RR east) of the crossing that appeared to be engaged in trimming the brush along the ROW.

It had an arm extended at an angle on either side for this purpose.

by PVRX1

How busy are these branches nowadays? I had a friend in Hampton who moved back to NJ, so I was able to photograph a few locals, usually led by a Geep 40 (regular cab) over the years. usually could find it tied up around Portsmouth.

by Jonny Bolt

Hampton branch is seldom used sadly. Foss Manufacturing is the only customer left. I guess some freight might come down every week or 2, maybe 3. All depends on Foss and how fast they use up those little plastic pellets they use for their non-woven fabrics. Thats what is in the covered hoppers that are brought to and fro. You can easily drive out behind Brooks Pharmacy on Rte. 1 (Hampton), and take some pics of the hopper cars on the Foss siding. The rails South of Foss are all ripped up though, thats the end of the line, so no reason to venture down there. One of my main small business contracts is in North Hampton, out in front of Hampton Airfield, but unfortunately I have no been working there when a train has come by. But my sis-in-law, who works there full-time, says she has heard it, one time on a Sat. morning. I havent been fortunate enough to see any motive power in town since I took the shots of that stationary GP40-2. There is no real schedule for Foss I dont think.

by A320

That brush trimming operation was in the vicinity of Hampton Airfield last week. The fence that abuts the airfield along the tracks just south (RR east) of the grade crossing at the airfield has numerous small trees leaning against it on the track side as a result of the brush-cutting.

The only other action the branch has seen lately was Wednesday, when the police were scouring it looking for the guys who held up the Ocean Bank branch on Rte. 1, just south of the airfield.

by truman

The only other traffic down the branch was that monster transformer last year. they unloaded it at Saxonville's siding and trucked it out to Timber Swamp road, to the nuke plant substation. I'll bet that was a scary ride down from Rockingham jct.
I notice that the Kiefel building, next to Saxonville, is up for lease, the realtor is making the point that the building has a rail siding.