• Guilford GP40 destroyed

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

Engineer James wrote:What in the world would a CN Loco be on the head of a NS Train
Probably the same reason that Guilford power would be on an NS train (or even a BNSF train -- MEC 347 has been spotted in Washington and British Columbia lately!).

by Engineer James

Really??? I have always wanted to see one. Come to think of it I have, pulling a local, with a Geep a few years back.(CSX I think.)
  by EJ&ESDM809

I'm sure UP caused the wreck. Its simple UP doesn't know what they are doing. As a result, a Guilford GP40 gets wrecked. Notice, the BNSF Dash 9 didn't even get a scratch on it! There have been several sightings of Guilford engines in Illinois.

by AmtrakFan

James,
They are prorably paying back horse power hours to UP CN is.

by D.Carleton

Trains wrote:So, will Guilford get a nice spiffy new locomotive at the expense of Norfolk Southern?
When Guilford was taking delivery of the SD-26's two were destroyed en route. In recompense the responsible party (IIRC CSX) sent two SD-35's east. I suspect the railroad found responsible will pull a GP-40 from a deadline, throw in just enough parts to make it operable and send it east.

by paulrail

Wouldn't UP have accident insurance covering a situation like this?

I can't imagine UP would not operate whith such protection. Some insurance company(ies) will end up paying out on the wreck.

Paul

by mick

D.Carleton wrote:
Trains wrote:So, will Guilford get a nice spiffy new locomotive at the expense of Norfolk Southern?
When Guilford was taking delivery of the SD-26's two were destroyed en route. In recompense the responsible party (IIRC CSX) sent two SD-35's east. I suspect the railroad found responsible will pull a GP-40 from a deadline, throw in just enough parts to make it operable and send it east.
Just one SD-26 was destroyed, and CSX sent a Western Maryland SD-35 as compensation. Guilford numbered it ST 614.

by D.Carleton

mick wrote:Just one SD-26 was destroyed, and CSX sent a Western Maryland SD-35 as compensation. Guilford numbered it ST 614.
Oops. Well that was almost 20 years ago.
paulrail wrote:Wouldn't UP have accident insurance covering a situation like this?
Large corporations are generally self-insured for eight or nine figures. For example, as regards the hurricane damage to CSX's line along the Gulf Coast, they will cover $25 Million with the rest coming from outside assurance.
  by EJ&ESDM809

I hope this wreck doesn't change Guilford's mind in leasing power. We need more to come to Illinois. I wouldn't mind seeing a Guilford engine of any type in person. :-) Maybe UP will give Guilford a big EMD like a SD40-2 in return. I'm sure CN doesn't really care about 1 SD40-2 since they have thousands of engines plus engines from railways they took over. Guilford, on the other hand, has far less engines, but that makes them rare.
  by GP40MC1118

Guilford is not leasing out engines. This unit and the MEC 347 are
returning owed "horsepower" hours to NS. Guilford probably owes
NS and CSX a lot of hours. NS in turn uses them as they would any
of their own units.

As far as CN not caring about a SD40, I disagree. A functional engine
is part of the fleet, even if its in the thousands. I'm sure they will be
looking for money or a replacement unit.

Dave

by NellsChoo

I may be wrong, but I thought I read that GRS engine was no longer owned by Guilford... I read something that I THOUGHT even mentioned a leasing company reporting mark... but I read it quickly at work...
  by EJ&ESDM809

There are some pics on railpictures, one is of the CN engine, and the other is of a NS engine.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=130505 http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=130506

You can see part of the Guilford engine in the photo of the CN. CN and Guilford will probably want money or a replacement engine from either NS or UP. I'm sure CN will just want money, as that is all they care about.
  by EJ&ESDM809

I was in the Momence area today, so I figured to go see what was going on around the wreck site. THe Guilford GP40 and the CN SD40-2 are still parked there. It looks like the Guilford got hit pretty hard, parts of it were scattered all over the place and the engine was laying next to it. It looks a lot worse in person then it does in any photo.