• Ground Broken on TF Green Airport station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by SbooX

$195 million just for a station that already has tracks running through it? What am I missing here?

(For the record, I've actually supported this project, but I'm wondering why it costs so much.)

by tabslate

I think part of the reason the cost is so expensive is because it will have a large parking garage and a sky walk to the airport terminal complete with moving sidewalks.

by Rockingham Racer

While traveling to NYC during the Christmas holiday, I noticed that good progress is being made to add a third track south of Providence, too. Does anyone have a target date for start-up of the service?

by Ron Newman

Also, aren't they moving all car rentals to this garage?

by Robert Paniagua

While traveling to NYC during the Christmas holiday, I noticed that good progress is being made to add a third track south of Providence, too. Does anyone have a target date for start-up of the service?

That track going towards Wickford Jct is actually for the P & W Freight trains with double stack, in fact, they are not even going to electrify it. But it may be used for the MBCR trains also, even though I'm not sure about that.

by Cotuit

Technically they haven't broken ground yet, just removed the last two buildings, other buildings had been removed prior. An 'official' ground-breaking is expected sometime this month.

Apparently the skybridge with moving sidewalk will cost more than the previously proposed Wellington style people mover, but it will cost less in maintenance in the long run.