Railroad Forums 

• Grocery Stores/Food Dist.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #567095  by workextra

Can anyone explain why there is such a weight restriction of 263,000 lbs. as Jay posted above?
Does this have to do the the elevated structures,track conditions or both?
 #567098  by jayrmli

Can anyone explain why there is such a weight restriction of 263,000 lbs. as Jay posted above?
Does this have to do the the elevated structures,track conditions or both?
Every railroad has to have a weight restriction, just as every roadway has restrictions on height, weight, width, etc. The reasons are the more weight on the rail, the heavier a pounding the track, bridges, structures takes. Over time, this can cause a derailment, or complete failure of the structures supporting it.

For years, the industry standard was 263,000 lbs. This weight was increased from previous levels as engineering techniques improved and stronger materials were used in construction of track and the superstructures. For most railroads today, the industry standard is 286,000 lbs. LIRR has maintained the 263,000 lb limit, which can restrict what freight moves over the LIRR. 286K cars can be moved, but they require special clearance from engineering, which can take awhile to get.

While most LIRR bridges were reinforced when the latest diesel fleet arrived, the rule has stayed in place. Engineering probably doesn't worry about 1 or two cars going over any of the bridges or structures, but the fear is a constant pounding by a string of 286,000 lb cars would do damage over time.

Jay
 #568564  by workextra

Jay,
Thanks for clearing that up.
I would tend to believe that PC Richards in Price Park would require more then 2 of these 286K cars on a delivery so they figure it's cheaper to deal with trucks then work out a plan with rail freight.
From a side line view, I was looking at it as the average rail 50' rail box delivering their commodities in a several car spot rather then a 5-10 car spot of special 85' boxcars.
you guys know more on the freight then I do.

What are the restrictions to "high and wides" I would expect they have to clear the too low mezzanine at Jamaica and what other restrictions? I have seen a few boxcars saying "excessive hight car" on them.
 #568571  by jayrmli

The height restriction is 17 feet high, which includes the excess height boxcars you mention. They still need special clearance from the engineering department, including the days on which they are to move. The 17 foot limit is only for certain corridors over the system. Generally, each clearance letter states which routes the cars are cleared for, and which tracks they are prohibited from.

Jay
 #571777  by Mr rt

Regarding the 263,000 weight restriction ... isn't it true that the current LIRR DE/DM 30AC's exceed that limit ?

Great thread, I've enjoyed reading it !
 #571942  by jayrmli

Regarding the 263,000 weight restriction ... isn't it true that the current LIRR DE/DM 30AC's exceed that limit ?
The rulebook clearly states the following: Does not apply to engines.

They aren't concerned with one car or engine that exceeds the weight limit. What they are worried about is a constant string of excess weight cars pounding the infrastructure.

Maybe I'm wrong here, and maybe those with internal knowledge can comment, but since the new engines came on the property, two things I never see anymore are:

1) Double headed trains (two or more engines on the same end)
2) Light engine moves with more than one new engine coupled together.

The reason for this may be the excess weight.

Jay
 #575208  by workextra

Jay,
Occasionally there are DM consists with 2 engines on either the east or west end of the train running elephant style.
and for lite engine moves I only seen them use a DE(or)DM with a MP15ac, never with 2 or more DE/DMs (from what I seen)

If you had a train with say 25 cars and 5 of them excessive weight cars. Would the LIRR permit all 5 cars in the same consist if they are spread out over the length of the consist? I know it would be counter productive for switching out but just out of curiosity.
 #575317  by jayrmli

If you had a train with say 25 cars and 5 of them excessive weight cars. Would the LIRR permit all 5 cars in the same consist if they are spread out over the length of the consist? I know it would be counter productive for switching out but just out of curiosity.
Engineering has told them yes, but for practicality reasons, the offer has not been officially accepted.

Jay
 #586046  by badneighbor

All the buffs want is more trains on Long Island. Put me in that group. Any idea of a freight tunnel under NY harbor, sounds like a 'Homeland Security' nightmare, I'm sure the FDNY would jump up and down over who would have to go into that tunnel after six propane tanks, and twelve lumber cars, and nine boxcars loaded with rice and cardboard derail, crash, and catch fire. We know that would be unlikely, but the NYPD and FDNY would play up that scenario in the NY papers, and the politicians would run away from the project. It would never be done.
 #586052  by badneighbor

oh...i forgot... the tree huggers would fight the destruction of the ecosystem... NY harbor... LMAO
 #586330  by alchemist

I don't know how unlikely such a fire would be, Badneighbor, considering recent events in the Channel Tunnel.