• Green Line Specs?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by lws1976

Hello,

I am new to this form and am working on a expansion set for a game called Transport Tycoon (see http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=24055).

I was wondering if anyone here knows the specifications (capacity, top speed, HP, weight, etc.) of these vehicles:
Type 5 Trolley
PCC
LRV
Type 7
Type 8

Red Line 01800
Red Line 01700/01600
Red Line 01400

Orange Line 01200
Orange Line 01100

Blue Line 0600
Blue Line 0500

Thanks,
Lewis

by AEM7AC920

by Otto Vondrak

Lewis- those are a lot of questions, and we dont even know you, Why dont you tell us where you have looked first, then we can give you some better answers.

-otto-

by lws1976

Sorry otto.

I have checked the NETransit site before I came here, and that helped, as did the link from AEM7AC920, for which I thank you. However, my googling has not turned up much information.

by typesix

Partial info on some of the older cars:

Type 5: 100hp, 30K lbs, 25 mph
PCC: 220 hp, 40k lbs, 42 mph, 142 passengers
01400: 400hp, 70k lbs, almost 300 passengers
01100: 400hp, 59k lbs
0500(1951): 220 hp, 48k lbs, 45 mph

by -Garrett

The Type 5 only went up to 25mph?
Goodness, weren't those cars in use up until the early 60's?

Traffic must really have changed a lot in Boston since then!

by typesix

The Type 5 only gets in the way on the Riverside line. During fantrips the car would immediately follow a regular service car if leaving Riverside so as not to slow down service.

by Leo Sullivan

The type five was designed for low speed mixed traffic and the top speed (actually 28MPH) exceeded the highway speed limit wherever they ran.
the emphasis of the performance design was fast acceleration with a relatively low horsepower. large doors and a semi-lowfloor configuration
with few obstacles assured fast loading. The boxy shape and large vestibules gave them a very large capacity, greater than a PCC.
While very unsuitable for the Riverside line, they were actually faster than PCCs on lines like Blue Hill Ave. which had ridership greater than the present B Line (surface) and more stops. Originally intended for secondary lines the above features enabled them to 'graduate' to the subway in their old age.
LS

by StevieC48

Leo Im not sure but they did have a few type 5s that were high speed not sure of the number series\

by jwhite07

As Leo Sullivan mentioned, nearly all of the streetcar system that the Type 5 and its predecessors operated on was in-street in an urban setting. Speeds greater than 30mph were seldom obtainable, so cars simply weren't built to go faster than that.

Some Type 4s and Type 5s were indeed modified to be capable of "high speed" to take advantage of private right of way like the Stoneham line and the Mattapan-Ashmont line, but even then we are talking 35-40mph max. PCCs were the first streetcars in Boston that could break 40mph as built, and even they weren't capable of much more than about 45mph.

Even today, with light rail vehicles that are *governed* to 50-52mph (and easily capable of going faster than that), the only place on the system they can really strut their stuff is the outer end of the Riverside Line. Take away the Riverside Line, and those pokey Type 5s could to this day keep up with the schedules on the B, C, and E lines no problem!

by typesix

Most are governed to 50-52 mph so as not to come close to exceeding their safe motor speed unless a higher top speed is specified . The LRV as an example, in Boeing literature was to have top speeds of 50 mph or 70 mph depending on the version chosen and gear ratios would be changed for the speed desired. The maximum safe speed for a PCC streetcar is 50 mph.

by b&m 1566

What is the max speed on the Green line today? I know some areas have different speeds so where is the location(s) of the max speed?

by StevieC48

The cars are governed to 45 and the top speed is on Riverside 45mph

by Robert Paniagua

StevieC48 wrote:The cars are governed to 45 and the top speed is on Riverside 45mph
I actually saw a train on the D line while riding it go up to 52 mph so technically, a train can go 50-60 mph on Riverside extension.