• Green Line POP

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 7 Train

With the introduction of CharlieCard/Ticket AFC, are any plans on the board to implement a proof-of-payment (POP) fare system on the surface sections of the Green Line west of Kenmore and south of Copley (E branch)? Proof-of-payment fare systems are now used in nearly every light rail system in North America, with San Francisco leading the way.

Ticketing machines would be placed at all surface stops and riders must purchase CharlieTickets from the machines or have a pre-paid CharlieCard or pass. The ticket must be validated when boarding. Riders without a valid ticket or pass would be subject to arrest and fine.

Proof of payment has worked in many other cities. Will it work here?

by CSX Conductor

Please take your suggestion elsewhere. The free-outbound thing can be a great life-saver sometimes, such as when you get stuck in the rain. :-)

by Reddy Rocker

CSX Conductor wrote:Please take your suggestion elsewhere. The free-outbound thing can be a great life-saver sometimes, such as when you get stuck in the rain. :-)
Um I don't see where he was mentioning going outbound, I thought he was talking about inbound...
  by sabourinj

7 Train wrote:With the introduction of CharlieCard/Ticket AFC, are any plans on the board to implement a proof-of-payment (POP) fare system on the surface sections of the Green Line west of Kenmore and south of Copley (E branch)? Proof-of-payment fare systems are now used in nearly every light rail system in North America, with San Francisco leading the way.

Ticketing machines would be placed at all surface stops and riders must purchase CharlieTickets from the machines or have a pre-paid CharlieCard or pass. The ticket must be validated when boarding. Riders without a valid ticket or pass would be subject to arrest and fine.

Proof of payment has worked in many other cities. Will it work here?
Take a look at the AFC thread, there has already been discussion about this http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 123#248123

There has also been a little talk about this in the Fare Increase Proposal thread (as the MBTA plans to eliminate free outbound rides). Further discussion should be directed to one of those existing threads.

JS

by CSX Conductor

Reddy, I guess I mis-read what he was saying, and for that I apologize. I guess I was thinking he meant for outbound because of the mentioning in the other thread of how the MBTA is tossing around the idea of eliminating the free outbound rides. :(

by Reddy Rocker

Not a big deal, CSX, but I agree with sabourinj in that we should be discussing this in the other thread. Let's see if Rob and/or CS agrees...

by danib62

I feel that the concept of POP on the green line is worthy of it's own thread. While it is tied into AFC it's not dependent on it.

by 7 Train

I do include the possibility of fare collection in both directions, as it could bring in more revenue for the T.

by danib62

I feel it would be hard to institute a POP system on just the surface portions of the green line. You would need to do the whole line in order for it to work. For example let's say you board at St. Mary's st. on the C line. All you need to do is go one stop till you hit Kenmore and you're already out of POP territory and not in danger of getting a ticket! I think many people in a situation like this would take the risk and not pay the fare and probably not get caught either. You would also need a POP for people who board downtown because they are planning to charge for when you travel outbound on the surface.