• Green Line Operators at their BEST?(NOT)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by fm535

I was getting on the Green Line at North Station today, after a trip on the CR to N.Billerica. It was around 5pm, and I got on at the back of a single (T7)unit "E" train. As I looked at the door, a blind man approached with his raised cane, feeling for the steps. His cane was in the car, and the doors closed around his wrist! People screamed before the operator released the doors. I am in shock, the operator wasn't watching the mirrors before hitting those green switches...it is a busy commute time, and there has to be some care with those doors. His wrists were small enough and at the right angle that the doors closed completely, I don't know if the sensors are good enough to stop the relays from allowing the trolley to move. (I thought the operators were supposed to be on HIGH notice to watch for activities along the T stops!)

I have to think that if it was a Breda, he would have been able to step aboard a bit quicker. Maybe not just the T8's, but something that was ADA compliant...as we moved onto Haymarket, I barely heard the announcement. It was a female operator, but she was faintly audible. All these things all add up to insensitivity toward handicapped individuals using the system. I have been silent toward the earlier postings of the 'mess the T seems to be in", but this kinda scared me seeing this guy almost dragged and it woke me up a bit.

If someone can correct me that the doors have sensors that would have prevented that accident from occurring, please do! I have had my gym bag stuck thru the door on several occasions while entering a packed car and only found out when I went to step up into the car as space became available.

by BC Eagle

Although horrifying, this behavior doesn't surprise me at all. I would not be suprised if the operator was negligent and not looking, or simply saw a person taking their time getting on the train, and decided to close the doors.

by efin98

BC Eagle wrote:Although horrifying, this behavior doesn't surprise me at all. I would not be suprised if the operator was negligent and not looking, or simply saw a person taking their time getting on the train, and decided to close the doors.
And it would not surprise me one bit if the person was not paying attention to the door chimes or just decided to get in the train after the doors were trying to close. I've seen that a few times, a blind person tries to get on the train even after the doors have tried to close and were being held open by someone else trying to get on late.

by apodino

efin98 wrote:
BC Eagle wrote:Although horrifying, this behavior doesn't surprise me at all. I would not be suprised if the operator was negligent and not looking, or simply saw a person taking their time getting on the train, and decided to close the doors.
And it would not surprise me one bit if the person was not paying attention to the door chimes or just decided to get in the train after the doors were trying to close. I've seen that a few times, a blind person tries to get on the train even after the doors have tried to close and were being held open by someone else trying to get on late.
As a reminder, not all of the Green Line cars have door chimes working. If this is one of those cars, then I can see how something like this can easily happen.

by fm535

There were no door chimes working. I would have noted that, too. This was strictly a case of haste and apathy. Someone was not looking, and it wasn't the blind guy!

by jwhite07

And at the same time, this comes up:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegio ... leid=64574

My biggest question is how they're going to collect fares, never mind the safety aspect (which has merit as well, judging from the comments in this thread).

by RailBus63

Agreed - how are they going to collect fares? Boston is certainly not ready for a proof-of-payment system. That said, the union's 9/11 argument doesn't hold water when you consider that four out of six cars in every Red and Orange Line train doesn't have an employee riding in it.

Regarding the North Station incident - in defense of the operator, it can't be easy to see the rear doors on cars using those convex mirrors hanging from the station ceilings. He/she may have seen that person without realizing they were blind or could not move quickly, and simply assumed that they had enough time to enter the car before hitting the door switch.

JD

by octr202

Its in the Globe too:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... cost_cuts/

I wonder, will all the Type 7's have to be brought up to spec with door chimes and flashing lights as well before this can happen? And, I thought that the older Type 7's were not capable of train-line door operation anyways.

Now, what to do with fares, that's a biggie. Looks like our debates about proof-of-payment may become real a lot faster than we all thought on this board.

by octr202

RailBus63 wrote:Agreed - how are they going to collect fares? Boston is certainly not ready for a proof-of-payment system. That said, the union's 9/11 argument doesn't hold water when you consider that four out of six cars in every Red and Orange Line train doesn't have an employee riding in it.

Regarding the North Station incident - in defense of the operator, it can't be easy to see the rear doors on cars using those convex mirrors hanging from the station ceilings. He/she may have seen that person without realizing they were blind or could not move quickly, and simply assumed that they had enough time to enter the car before hitting the door switch.

JD
Definately -- as long as the operator opened the doors back up and realized what was happening. Did other passengers react, and try to alert him that something was wrong? How did the operator react to them? That's the key question.
  by StevieC48

I just wan to point out that Type 7 1/2 3700-3719 came to the MBTA with ADA door chimes. The modified Type 7's to work with the Type 8's are getting the ADA door chime. On the E North Station the Heath St it's rare to get a Modified type 7 since the ADA anouncements screw up on that line. Reguarding the door sensitive edges on the Type 7 they do have the, however the cars have a feature that if the operator depresses the door close switch and holds the button down it will disable the door sensitive edges. If the operator hits the door close momentarly the sensitive edges will work. Go figure Stevie

by ST214

Will this one operator system work??? I was told a few years ago that they could not MU the door controls, and that was why there were 2 operators on two trolley sets and 3 on 3 sets.

by StevieC48

As far as I know the Type 8's have a door set up system,simular to the rapid tramst trains. The positions of the door switch is as followed:RUN, THROUGH,OFF. This is how the cars would be able to open the doors forn 1 operator's postion. The trains door swittches would be set up like this:
1st car would by set to OFF 2nd car would be set in the THROUGH and the 3rd car would RUN. I had not seen any modifications on the Type 7 mods that would indicate that the 8's are the only car. Thats all I know Be good all Stevie

by #5 - Dyre Ave

Stevie, are all of the modified T7's supposed to be getting door chimes eventually? Because I ride modified T7's all the time on the B line and none of them have door chimes. In fact they don't look like they had too many modifications. The ASA, electronic destination signs, flashing outside lights, the passenger intercoms and of course being able to operate with the T8's look like the only differences from the other T7's.

by StevieC48

The only T7's that will have the ADA door chimes are the 7 and a half's 3700-3719. Not to my knowledge will anymore 7's recieve any ADA door chimes unless they have a midlife overhaul of the 3600's. Hope that it helps you out.

by efin98

I heard them today on a modified Type 7, they seem to be require on all transit vehicles regardless of whether they came with them or not.
Last edited by efin98 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.