• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by SkiScorcher88

Are there any updates on the MP-15s these days? Has the re-painting started yet and are they still in use?
Anyone have ideas on what's going to happen to the existing roster of GPs?
  by DerailedThought

I haven't seen any new paint yet. The last I heard was that they started work on a new engine house.

There's also been new landscaping at the propane facility, trees cut down along the tracks just north of Route 30, and crossing gates installed at various locations in Grafton.
  by johnpbarlow

Looks like G&U is operating its 3 ex-CSX MP15s while the GMTX MP15 leaser takes a breather as of 06/29/18. Note the newly installed (by RJ Corman) but not yet functional Westboro Rd crossing gate.

Middle photo is a grab shot of all ex-CSX MP15s operating in the small N Grafton yard.

Re: the RoW clearing around the rte 30 crossing at N Grafton, there are survey stakes in place to the east of the G&U track that suggest a turnout to a new yard lead may be planned for installation? I thought I had read a few years back that with the LPG facility in place G&U wanted to enlarge the small N Grafton yard but I could be making that up...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by bk77

DerailedThought wrote:I haven't seen any new paint yet. The last I heard was that they started work on a new engine house.

There's also been new landscaping at the propane facility, trees cut down along the tracks just north of Route 30, and crossing gates installed at various locations in Grafton.
Looking at google satelite there is a clearing of land at the other end of the yard from the propane facility. I assume that's where the engine house will be?
  by SkiScorcher88

That land was cleared years ago - probably around 2009. Unless there's been fresh activity, I wouldn't bet the house on that.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by MaineCoonCat

[quote="At 1:02 pm ET on Jul 9, 2018 In an article entitled "Peabody Gets $221k Rail grant From MassDOT", News Desk, News Partner of the Peabody Patch "]
Peabody Gets $221k Rail grant From MassDOT

<paragraphs omitted>

Grafton and Upton Railroad Bulk Liquid Transloading Railyard Expansion Project – Upton: $133,045

This project will support increases in rail volumes to the transloading rail facility in Upton. The project includes the construction of two new tracks that will allow for the delivery and storage of paraffin wax to the Grafton and Upton Railroad. The project, which is located on the site of the existing facility, is anticipated to increase annual rail volumes by 250 railcars and reduce the regional growth of truck traffic by eliminating approximately 1,500 truck trips.[/quote]

Read more of this story at Peabody Patch s web site

This article may also be found at: https://www.rtands.com/freight/massdot- ... itiatives/
  by b&m 1566

Peabody is one of the 5 projects but not related to the G&U.
  by MaineCoonCat

Correct. Sadly, the G&U was last in the article..
  by craven

Was down on Depot St. in Hopedale today.

A string (14-18) of Covered Hopper cars were being shuttled around.

I couldn't hang around very long heard the train horn but didn't see the engine.

Someone in the area may want to stop by and see what they are doing.
  by johnpbarlow

Here's the Friday the 13th edition (2018) of G&U train G-1 departing south from North Grafton at around 0800. G-1 is beginning the ascent to Grafton Center crossing Snow Rd with 2 MP15ACs lugging 1 centerbeam of sheet rock for Hopedale (I'm guessing) and 1 tank of styrene and 1 tank of nitric acid for W Upton (also a guess). I'm further guessing that this would have been the power handling the covered hoppers at Hopedale.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpbarlow/ ... 128756551/
  by MaineCoonCat

You do know that flickr is requiring a login (which I don't have) to view that, right?
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by johnpbarlow

Actually I did not know that as I thought I had set the viewing rights to public - my bad! I think it's fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by craven

Was back at Hopedale yard today.

Only two Covered Hoppers remain. The main line from Rt. 16 crossing back to the Hopedale yard is clear.
  by johnpbarlow

Here's an interesting G&U - Hopedale development: Looks like G&U is proposing to be involved in financing of "Draper Falls Urban Renewal Plan". Re-purposing of Draper property at Hopedale would be primarily residential and commercial retail (ie, I see no mention of developing land for more RR use).

http://www.milforddailynews.com/news/20 ... raper-vote

and

http://www.telegram.com/news/20180715/h ... -plan-says
  by MaineCoonCat

johnpbarlow wrote:Actually I did not know that as I thought I had set the viewing rights to public - my bad! I think it's fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!
Yes and THANK YOU! Nice video!