• Grabauskas targets broken elevators, escalators

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Pete

This is a good first project for Grabauskas, I think. Gives him a chance to use those Mr. Fix-it qualities he was famous for at the Registry, and make a difference in something that quickly improves customers' experiences.

I've wondered if missing the challenge he had in straightening out the Registry (as opposed to the huge scope of administration in the EOT Secretary job) motivated his jump to the MBTA. I hope so, because it could use that sort of tenaciousness and customer focus.

Of course, Mulhern was very customer-oriented (especially as compared to Bob Prince) when he started, but his customer service initiatives were not well funded in the long term.

And on a side note, I am especially fond of the title, "director of vertical transportation."

(full text at http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... n_repairs/)

T chief promises oversight on repairs
Stations' elevators, escalators at issue

By Mac Daniel, Globe Staff | May 17, 2005

On his first day on the job, the T's new general manager, Daniel Grabauskas, said yesterday that he will hire a point person, a director of vertical transportation, to fix and oversee chronic problems with station elevators and escalators, and vowed to speed repairs at three key stations.

Calling the number of broken-down elevators and escalators in the transit system ''a disgrace," Grabauskas also assigned at least two Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority employees to monitor current repairs made by the T's outgoing contractor, KONE Inc.

Ten percent of the T's 143 elevators and 167 escalators were out of service yesterday.
  by #5 - Dyre Ave

Pete wrote: Of course, Mulhern was very customer-oriented (especially as compared to Bob Prince) when he started, but his customer service initiatives were not well funded in the long term.
That could happen to Grabauskas too unless he shows that he means business. For one thing, Kone should not be rehired. They did a piss-poor job of maintaining the elevators and escalators in the system and it has gotten so bad that the FTA has gotten involved. He's got his work cut out for him.

by efin98

Showing any spine is a big improvement over the past, a big first step for him
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Pete wrote:Ten percent of the T's 143 elevators and 167 escalators were out of service yesterday.
That number has gone up...way up...since the fatal escalator accident at Porter this Spring and the near-fatal accident at Harvard. The usual troublesome escalators in the system are getting taken out of service for much longer periods when they break.

That may not be a bad thing. For one...doing substantial fixes rather than the band-aid methods Kone seems to favor ought to keep them operational longer. For two...taking more out of service for longer periods increases the public pressure to fix them and fix them good. Riders have gotten accustomed to finding one major escalator at any given station out-of-service for a certain number of days each week or month. It's a conditioned response, and as long as people are conditioned to expect the yellow porta-fence to make the rounds arounds all a station's escalators every week the repair vendors are going to be disincentivized to stop applying band-aids.

Now...you close 2 out of the 3 long Porter escalators for, like, 10 days straight like they did last month and you're gonna face the music (and have a lot of commuters shout invective at you on the job, as I witnessed on a couple of those days). Not that those beasts are necessarily running free and constant these days, but in the time since that more extensive outage they've replaced some of the grating at the tops and bottoms (which before had screw holes so worn it didn't look like anything was bolting them in place), and the 100+ ft. long escalators are actually operating three-at-a-time...well, a lot more often than they used to. So I have to think that the change in policy is having some sort of noticeable effect. I'll believe it for sure when the Arlington outbound escalator cracks three consecutive days of in-service.

Next step after fixing the perenially band-aided escalators for real is to start replacing the old and especially troublesome ones. Especially the longer ones where it isn't such a trivial matter for most able-bodied commuters carrying bags and briefcases to take the stairs instead. Like the Porter Three. They need stop sensors to prevent accidents like that unfortunate fatality, need better restart mechanisms and more robust reliability (this year alone I've had one crap out while I was going UP on three separate occasions), and they need fresher parts or a significant rehab/rebuild just from the awful sounds and herky-jerky ride emanating from the operational motors and gears. That's just one station. There are escalators in obvious distress all over the system. If Grabauskas starts a list of targeted rehabs...say, a "Dirty Dozen" list...the commuters will really appreciate it even if they have to wait for their least-favorite escalator's turn in the rehab quene, and even if that puts 'em out of service for one long stretch. It would send a much better message than just trotting out the porta-fence on 3 out of every 10 commuting days.

by Ron Newman

The Davis Square escalators, on the Holland Street side, have been out of service way too often.

When only one escalator is working, why doesn't the T make sure that the still-working one goes up rather than down?

by CSX Conductor

Ron Newman wrote:When only one escalator is working, why doesn't the T make sure that the still-working one goes up rather than down?
I agree Ron. Most people find it alot easier to walk down that up.

by #5 - Dyre Ave

I'll believe it for sure when the Arlington outbound escalator cracks three consecutive days of in-service.
I get off at Arlington every day to get to work. It never seems to be in service for more than two days at a time. Disgraceful. But at least now the T has a chance to start over now and get a more competent contractor to repair and maintain the escalators - they'd better, especially with the ADA-compliance issues going on.

by CRail

1 yr+ for completion? I am not satisfied, what is so complicated about an elevator/escalator that it will take over a year to complete. you could rip out and replace them all faster than that.