• GP9r vs. GP9

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Engineer Spike

I have read somewhere that EMD came out with the rebuild kit. B&M bought 1 set, then reverse engineered it for the rest of them.
There are pictures on NE Rail of 1725 & 26 getting lifted out of the hole. I am friends with the engineer who was involved in this wreck, and I believe that he was out injured for quite a while.
  by SooLineRob

I recall reading somewhere the GP9 upgrade program consisted of replacing the factory 567-series diesel engine components with the newer 645-series diesel engine power assemblies.
  by MEC407

That is how many railroads upgraded their GP9s (and other 567-engined locomotives), but I'm not sure if B&M went that far. My understanding was that the upgrades were mostly electrical; some engine parts may have been refurbished, but I'm not sure if it involved new 645 power assemblies. Dave, do you know?
  by Engineer Spike

I have spoken to machinists who say that some were power packed with 645 jugs. I have heard that the rebuild was mostly electrical, and may have simplified the transition circuits.