• GP40MC Top-Deck Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC1118

With the addition of the 1129, its five GP40MC's out to AMP.

1116 & 1119 out there since May 2007 for the mysterious road-switcher
mods experiment. Dead silence on these two...

1128 & 1131 out there since April 2008. Nothing on the CSX Trace about
them coming back...

The 1129 landed in Rochester, NY July 17th. I assume it will be handed
over to the R&S this coming week to take to AMP in Danville.

D
  by GP40MC1118

The 1128 & 1131 arrived in Selkirk today on Q380-21. I suspect they will be coming to Boston tonight or tomorrow or Q420 to Beacon Park.

D

Oh ya...silence is golden regarding the the 119 & 1116
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

diburning wrote:I hope it comes in on Q420. I just don't know when Q420 gets to beacon park though. It would be nice to get pictures of it trailing behind CSX units.

Does anyone know when Q420 gets to beacon park?
Q420 usually gets into Beacon Park in the evening hours, I want to say around 6-8, but it could get to Beacon at midnight
  by Veristek

What's Q420 if you don't mind my asking? Is it a name for a freight train like they give passenger trains numbers? Or is it a special locomotive that hauls other locomotives? Or is it something else?
  by diburning

Veristek wrote:What's Q420 if you don't mind my asking? Is it a name for a freight train like they give passenger trains numbers? Or is it a special locomotive that hauls other locomotives? Or is it something else?
It's a train number. More like a trip number. For example, Q420 goes from Selkirk Yard, NY to Beacon Park Yard, MA daily.

The rain was pouring so I didn't bother to go out today. I guess if Q420 comes in during the evening, it would be hard to take pictures too.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

diburning wrote:
Veristek wrote:What's Q420 if you don't mind my asking? Is it a name for a freight train like they give passenger trains numbers? Or is it a special locomotive that hauls other locomotives? Or is it something else?
It's a train number. More like a trip number. For example, Q420 goes from Selkirk Yard, NY to Beacon Park Yard, MA daily.

The rain was pouring so I didn't bother to go out today. I guess if Q420 comes in during the evening, it would be hard to take pictures too.
The train that MBTA loco's are getting shipped out on is Q421, which leaves Beacon Park in the early morning hours, but if your lucky, you can catch them during the late morning hours. I have seen them come through Framigham at 12:30 pm
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

I just received this post on CSX Sightings by TIm Burno:

Q420 through Chatham Center at 1725 hours with leader CSXT #691, CSXT
(?), MBTA (?) and MBTA #1131 with 64 cars.
  by mbta1051dan

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I just received this post on CSX Sightings by TIm Burno:

Anyone got pix? I live in the Canaan area during the summer, so I probably heard it last night. No screaming HEP generators, though!lol

-Dan
  by diburning

mbta1051dan wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:I just received this post on CSX Sightings by TIm Burno:

Anyone got pix? I live in the Canaan area during the summer, so I probably heard it last night. No screaming HEP generators, though!lol

-Dan
The HEP generators were probably not running. The locomotives were only trailing, hitched and pulled as rolling stock. The MBTA locomotives were not pulling or helping to pull the freight train. (although CSX "lost" a FL9 once and it was found later that they were using it for road power for freights... An FL9 pulling freight... That's a sight to see)

How early in the morning does Q421 leave beacon? Also, how can I find out when the next two units are leaving for overhaul?
  by AEM7AC920

Even if the the MBTA units were providing tracion the HEP would not be running anyways just the main engine would since there are no cars to provide HEP for.
  by mbta1051dan

AEM7AC920 wrote:Even if the the MBTA units were providing tracion the HEP would not be running anyways just the main engine would since there are no cars to provide HEP for.
I know that I was just kidding lol because they are so loud :)

-Dan
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

diburning wrote:
mbta1051dan wrote:

-Dan
How early in the morning does Q421 leave beacon? Also, how can I find out when the next two units are leaving for overhaul?
I have read that they leave as early as 3 am, usually when Q119 heads west. CSX conductor can give you a better answer on their call time.
  by GP40MC1118

The 1128 & 1131 were delivered by CSX B721 today in Somerville.

D