• GP Old Town Closed

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by NYC27

With the shutdown of the GP Old Town pulp mill being annonced on 3/16 and executed immedately over the weekend, how much affect will this have on the MMA? As I recall the wood chip move to South Lagrange is one of the biggest pieces of traffic they have.
  by JAJ

NYC27 wrote:With the shutdown of the GP Old Town pulp mill being annonced on 3/16 and executed immedately over the weekend, how much affect will this have on the MMA? As I recall the wood chip move to South Lagrange is one of the biggest pieces of traffic they have.
4% of revenues, about 5200 loads a year -- per a quote from Grindrod in the Bangor paper. Probably not as huge an impact as the Millinocket mills closing, for example.

JAJ
[email protected]

by Cowford

Four percent of revenue? Unfortunately, that'll hurt plenty. At least it's low margin revenue. If they lost four percent on the paper/lumber/chem side, it would hurt a lot more. I'm not up on MMA's current carloadings - is/was this move about 10 percent of MMA's total carloadings?
  by bwparker1

The Maine governor is scrambling to find a new buyer to preserve the 400 jobs at the mill.

Man, he has some weird priorities. How about lessening the Tax/Health care burden faced by Maine small and large business to retain some decent jobs? Oh wait, I have an idea, lets promote tourism and their $7.00 no benefit jobs as Maine's salvation while all the wealthy people move into coastal homes and native Mainers are forced to leave because they can only afford to live in areas where there aren't any jobs. Now that sounds like a good idea to me. :wink:

BWP