• GP-38's on the Southern Tier Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by smph50

:P Hi All! Anyone notice the cool old GP-38's (AC & -2) Norfolk Southern is running on the Tier lately? Its their old Leslie 3 Chimes that gets my attention. This morning #5010 and #4130 went by MP 411.7 at 0938. I often see them in the lead of an AC or CW unit. Do they ride better on just four axles? Also noted #4142 and #7079 running by themselves. I just think it is so neat to these old high hood units still being used on a daily basis. S' Scott

by thannon

:wink: The crews I've talked to aren't that in love with them.

Tom H>

by roadster

The locomotive assignment people general don't care whats up front just that a train has the HP assigned to it required to get it over the road. As for the 4xls ride? It's like riding old 3/4 ton PU with bad shocks down a dirty road. "like an E-ticket at Disneyland". Six xls ride alot smoother.

by sd80mac

roadster wrote: Six xls ride alot smoother.
2 saturdays ago, I was at Froniter Yard. I saw this TV train pulled by 3 units. the leading unit, if I could recall GP40 or GP30 - in 2nd paint scheme(?- grey on body with blue on nose and cab)

This one was like RIDING along the wave! it rocked side to side BIG TIME, even before crossover to another track.

Someone said that it's low on fuel so it get lighter and rocks easily as center gravity is now at higher instead of low in body frame. I dont know... that unit is like rocking chair... I cant see how crew can be relaxed and comfortable... I wont be surprise if a particular person who is easily get seasick, would get sea sick riding in this unit! Or unit could rock them to sleep real easily...

ken