• geometry car on MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

today at 4:34, a Extra train rolled by me w/ MBTA 1060 249 Amtrak's Geometry Car and 1513

they went to Attleboro on Track 3, continued to Hebronville, reverse direction, traveled over Track 4 in Attleboro and headed East back to Boston at 4:55 pm.
  by GP40MC1118

Matt:

It's making it's yearly test of all MBTA commuter lines this month.
Tomorrow it tests the Old Colony line, then comes over to the
northside for two days.

D

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

ic thats cool, how does it do its thing? Actually, the first question i need to ask, is what does it do exactly?

by CSX Conductor

I would assume it is checking guage and condition of ties and other track infrastructure, but I could be wrong. Btw, it passed me also. :wink:

by 130MM

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:ic thats cool, how does it do its thing? Actually, the first question i need to ask, is what does it do exactly?
It measures, of all things, track geometry. This includes gage, crosslevel, profile, alignment, curvature and warp. The gage and alignment are measured used lasers pointed at the head of the rail. The profile is measured using linear displacement transducers. The crosslevel is measured using a gyro in concert witha measurement of carbody roll. Warp is a mathematical comparison of two crosslevel readings over 31 ft., 62 ft. and for high speed tracks 124 ft.

The car can measure track up to 125 MPH. It prints out a tape showing the parameters that looks a lot like an EKG. I also get a CD of the data which I can review on the PC in my office.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

cool thanks for the information :-D

by CSX Conductor

Just curios 130mm, did it detect any irregularities?

by 130MM

Let's just say that this is "proprietary" information. But I will say that things went well.

by CSX Conductor

Ok, but I could list several hand-thrown switches and derails on MBCR property that could use some lubing. :P

by 130MM

CSX Conductor wrote:Ok, but I could list several hand-thrown switches and derails on MBCR property that could use some lubing. :P
Sorry, the Geo car doesn't measure the lubrication level on turnouts. But if they are hard to throw, turn it in to the DS, and the word will be passed on.

by CSX Conductor

I know, I was just busting your chops.

by paulrail

Does it measure the amount of oil remaining in flange oilers? LOL :wink: :-D

by 130MM

paulrail wrote:Does it measure the amount of oil remaining in flange oilers? LOL :wink: :-D
That technology is mounted in the 10003. And because that car can only be used in an Acela, I guess we're out of luck!