• gate probelms and reading line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by firelaw

i have a question; what happened this morning with the gates on the reading line. They were all down from 12pm to about 5am with no lights flashing or warning signals sounding. The reading police called mcbr every hour and were told they had a handle on it... mmmm seems like there was a communication breakdown....also when is the 2nd track being put in. It seems the lowell line through woburn is being overused and haverill/reading would be a perfect choice for a second set of tracks to relieve the traffic

by GP40MC 1116

I was on the Haverhill/Reading Line today and all of the crossing gates seemed to work fine. Also i think it's right before Reading Station.. their is a 3rd track that Splits the 2 MBCR regular used tracks.. any idea what this is for.. As you enter into Reading Sta the Train I was on heading towards Haverhill switched over and just used the one single track into Reading
  by GP40MC1118

The gate problem was weather related failures.

The "third" track between Ash Street and RT 128 is the old Reading Middle Track. Rarely used anymore, mostly for MW equipment storage.

D
  by GP40MC 1116

GP40MC1118 wrote:The gate problem was weather related failures.

The "third" track between Ash Street and RT 128 is the old Reading Middle Track. Rarely used anymore, mostly for MW equipment storage.

D
Thanks Dave, gee too bad their isn't a "MBTA Railfan Book" out their that shows the CR Lines and all of the interlockings and Stations and all of that, they got them out their for GRS, but why not MBCR
  by CSX Conductor

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Thanks Dave, gee too bad their isn't a "MBTA Railfan Book" out their that shows the CR Lines and all of the interlockings and Stations and all of that, they got them out their for GRS, but why not MBCR
Because management and the government are living in a state of fear ever since 9-11. :(
  by GP40MC 1116

CSX Conductor wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:Thanks Dave, gee too bad their isn't a "MBTA Railfan Book" out their that shows the CR Lines and all of the interlockings and Stations and all of that, they got them out their for GRS, but why not MBCR
Because management and the government are living in a state of fear ever since 9-11. :(
But if anyone actually took the time to make it, i think the "Freedom of Speach " would take care of any problems others would give it from being done
  by GP40MC1118

I forgot to point out that in the Eighties, the Reading Middle retained all
four connections to the double track mainline (two per mainline).

The two switches left are both trailing points, which means any moves
have to back into the Middle.

d