• Fried Green Tomatoes

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

by emd_SD_60

I know this movie had some good shots of steam trains in the 1930s-1940s. The movie was filmed in Georgia, which probably meant the actual tracks seen were owned by Norfolk Southern or CSX. Are those tracks still in service? It was filmed in several cities in GA.

by SRS125

The Tracks belong to Norfolk Southern and are vary much in service from my understanding a friend of mine has been threw a few of them small towns while doing test jobs for NS.

by emd_SD_60

Now who was the owner of those steam locomotives? And who did they previously belong to? Southern? Norfolk and Western?

Now as to where the railroad scenes were filmed is a whole 'nother story. The IMDB lists the following Georgia towns: Fayetteville, Juliette, Orlando, Senoia, and Zebulon.

UPDATE: After looking at rrpicturearchives.net I think Juliette was the town...
Last edited by emd_SD_60 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SRS125

The railroad in the film was the Cincinnati, New Orleans & Texas Pacific Railroad. I rember seeing 2 diffrent locomotives in the film one with the name completeley spelled out which is a vary bref seen of the train rushing threw town and a 2ed locomotive that is seen more ofton with just CNO&TP on the coal tender. According to the Fraght Yard's railroad faimily tree this line was eated up by Norfolk Southern in the 70's.

They do list a small number of Georgia towns and they do make refrence to being near the Mississippi state line a lot. That village in which Fried Green Tomatos was filmed has showed up in quite a few movies. I rember at leased 3 or 4 films that I have seen that showed fast clips of it all these movies were centered about the 1960's and early 70's and had something to do with the civil rights movements and all had who ever the acters were passing threw there on a train.

by Aa3rt

Gentlemen, I had time to do a little surfing today and found the movie was filmed in the town of Juliette, Georgia.

http://www.juliettega.com/

A photo from the website, taken during the filming of "Fried Green Tomatoes":

http://www.juliettega.com/photogallery/filming/3.asp

The locomotive used in the movie was former Atlanta & West Point #290, a heavy Pacific (4-6-2). For more information on the loco, follow these links:

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/nc-ga/

and scroll down to the Southeast Railway Museum section.

Or, simply go the the Southeast Railway Museum website:

http://www.srmduluth.org/Exhibits/steam.htm

by SRS125

vary cool aa3rt,

That small town has showed up in a few outher film clips in outher movies but the seens were not long enough to catch it unless someone was rilly paying attention to the back ground.
  by 1st Barnegat

Aa3rt wrote:Gentlemen, I had time to do a little surfing today and found the movie was filmed in the town of Juliette, Georgia...The locomotive used in the movie was former Atlanta & West Point #290, a heavy Pacific (4-6-2)...
How about the passenger cars? In the one scene, they appear not be be the real thing but closeups of Lionel! Check it out the next time you rent the movie and compare them to Lionel No. 9515 "Washington Circle."

by SRS125

The cars passenger cars were most likley the real deal maybe they came form an area NRHS Chapter along with the fraght cars few bucks. Many of these movie makers have only so much in there storage lots. Things like Automobiles, clothing, and outher details are no problum becuse they don't take much space. Railroad equipment or even military equipment for that matter is not an easy thing to get depending on the era wanting to show. So it would be my best guess that varyed collecters such as NRHS chapters, transpertation museums, and Military Museums who own it most likley lease what they have for a small fee.