• Freight trains near Newton?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CHANGEATJAMAICA

The last couple of mornings between 0400 and 0500 I've been awakened by the low throaty mummer of diesal locomotives and the sound of their horns as they pass between Newton and Plaistow. I live in Merrimac, about two miles from Newton Junction. Any one have information on where they're going to/coming from? This morning it sounded like there were two, one going north and a while later another going south. Appreciate your responses.
Best regards,
Rodger

by CSX Conductor

Perhaps you are hearing the New Hampshire North Coast sand train.

by Rockingham Racer

CSX Conductor wrote:Perhaps you are hearing the New Hampshire North Coast sand train.
That would be my guess, also. Its symbol is BODO.

by Jonny Bolt

I thought DOBO ran nights?

I have seen freight running through Exeter, southbound, at about 9/9:30 am.

by b&m 1566

The DOBO usually is returning to Dover around that time if I have understood it correctly. Bernie should be able to shine some light on it; he's got the Guilford Timetable book or something of that nature. The thing never leaves his side.

by GP40MC 1116

b&m 1566 wrote:The DOBO usually is returning to Dover around that time if I have understood it correctly. Bernie should be able to shine some light on it; he's got the Guilford Timetable book or something of that nature. The thing never leaves his side.
Thanks Brian. Apparently this is my loving sidekick! The Guilford Railfan Timetable.. haha!

Hmm well lets see. I can see right in front of me:

Guilford Train "POMO" Comes through Newton Jct at arround 04:31 AM as this schedule says, that would be it in the area as far as going est (TO BOSTON)

What I have for NHN, the train comes off it's branch and gets to Dover arround 7:00PM, then re-crews leaving as Pan Am Train DOBO, leaving at 7:45PM, passing Newton Jct at 8:30PM.

As far as East, lets see..I can't see anything arround that time frame you said at night

Again Pan Am dosn't really have any sort of "schedule" but who knows. My timetable is from 2005, but it is fairly good I feel. I hope a update comes out soon, with all the MBCR Schedule changes, I can't keep up!

by cpf354

I'd take those freight schedules with a mountain, as opposed to a grain, of salt. POMO isn't even a symbol anymore.
GP40MC 1116 wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:The DOBO usually is returning to Dover around that time if I have understood it correctly. Bernie should be able to shine some light on it; he's got the Guilford Timetable book or something of that nature. The thing never leaves his side.
Thanks Brian. Apparently this is my loving sidekick! The Guilford Railfan Timetable.. haha!

Hmm well lets see. I can see right in front of me:

Guilford Train "POMO" Comes through Newton Jct at arround 04:31 AM as this schedule says, that would be it in the area as far as going est (TO BOSTON)

What I have for NHN, the train comes off it's branch and gets to Dover arround 7:00PM, then re-crews leaving as Pan Am Train DOBO, leaving at 7:45PM, passing Newton Jct at 8:30PM.

As far as East, lets see..I can't see anything arround that time frame you said at night

Again Pan Am dosn't really have any sort of "schedule" but who knows. My timetable is from 2005, but it is fairly good I feel. I hope a update comes out soon, with all the MBCR Schedule changes, I can't keep up!