Railroad Forums 

• Freight trains in push-pull mode?

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1267646  by SouthernRailway

I saw a CSX freight train rolling over a bridge around exit 70 on I-85 in Spartanburg County, SC, and there was a regular CSX locomotive at the end of the train, with the cab facing the rear of the train.

Do freight trains operate in push-pull mode like passenger trains do? Or was the locomotive just being towed along, but not providing power?

Thanks.
 #1267731  by Dewoc19

From my understanding CSX doesnt run DPU trains which is what an engine on the rear or middle of a train would be, a DPU (distributed power unit) so its possible it could have been in tow or they were using it as a run around unit to head back in the opposite direction later on
 #1268389  by Thunder

In Illinois they run a loco on the rear as a way to help a move. Daily the Q556 and Q 557 run with a unit on the rear. Not being used as power until it does its flip to come back.
 #1275746  by spRocket

Thunder wrote:In Illinois they run a loco on the rear as a way to help a move. Daily the Q556 and Q 557 run with a unit on the rear. Not being used as power until it does its flip to come back.
I've noticed that the CSX trains on the New Rock Subdivision (Joliet-Utica via Metra/RI) often have one of their GP15T units on the back, and I always figured that was to assist with switching along the route.