Railroad Forums 

• Freight Trains and Higher Speed Limits

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1248702  by mmi16

There is a old saying in racing - Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go?

Most shippers and consignees don't really want to pay for speed - consistancy they will pay for. If they have been sold on 5th day delivery of their commodity, getting a 4th day delivery doesn't fit into their plans, likewise 6th day delivery also presents a hardship.
 #1248705  by David Benton

That is very true , and I guess, under promise and over deliver is true only to an extent. Many businesses have limited storage or handling ability, and a day early is probably as bad for them as a day late. However if the railroad gets the consignment to its depot a day early , and then give s the customer the option of recieving it htat day , or on the scheduled day.
Here is the pricing page of Kiwirail Freight. a company trying to compete with trucks for overnite business.
http://www.kiwirailfreight.co.nz/pricing.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you have a play, Auckland-Wellington , you will see that delivery by 4 pm next day is a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than by 7.30 a.m the next day.