• free. mattapan line

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by tristanh1

I was on the mattapan line recently. I know you only pay a fare if you are going inbound and exit before Ashmont. I saw many people get on at Mattapan. They didn't pay then as the driver was outside> I also didn't notice any passes. No one who left the pcc before Ashmont paid before they left. Is the fare no longer enforced? Does this mean the line is entirely free? I guess if so than the fare boses are there for decoration

by AznSumtinSumtin

I rode the Mattapan line today, I also noticed that no one paid when they got off before Ashmont. My guess is that by having all the doors open, it helps speed up boarding.

by danib62

AznSumtinSumtin wrote:I rode the Mattapan line today, I also noticed that no one paid when they got off before Ashmont. My guess is that by having all the doors open, it helps speed up boarding.
They never ever enforce the fare on the high speed line. Then again there is an easy way to avoid it. Just go all the way inbound to ashmont then turn around and go outbound to your stop which is free!

by Sh0dan

When they put the new CharlieCard/CharlieTicket fareboxes on the High Speed Line (They are going to, right?) they should just make it like a bus on the new fare structure, with free transfers to the subway. I assume the reason for the current system is to make it easy to switch to the Red Line without having to do some kind of paper transfer. The Charlie system should make transfers nice and easy, so I hope they just make it the same as a bus. Anyone know if that's what they're going to do?

by sery2831

Well the cars dont even have the current, soon to be old fare boxes... I dont think they will ever collect fares on there. That is IF the line comes back after its year ++ shut down...