Railroad Forums 

• Framingham/Worcester Line Questions

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1580003  by bostontrainguy

BandA wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:42 pm Wow! How much land was taken for this station project? I assume they are reversing the freight undercut, and adding back the third track.
None I believe. Don't forget it was a four track ROW originally and there was a junction for the Saxonville branch that split off just west of the station too.

As far as reversing the undercutting, there always was a drainage problem here so maybe. Don't know if future electrification is being allowed for.
 #1580008  by The EGE

No takings that I know of. The cut (built in the 1890s) was built for 4 tracks (north to south, 5, 3, 1, 2) plus a platform on the south side. From the 60s until now, the two southern track slots (1 and 2) were in use, with the westbound platform on the northern center track slot (3). The new configuration moves the westbound platform to the northernmost track slot (5), with the northern center (3) and southernmost (2) tracks in use, and the southern center slot (1) reserved for the future third track.
 #1580047  by JacobKoppel

BandA wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:42 pm I assume they are reversing the freight undercut, and adding back the third track.
Yes the freight under cut on track 2 has been "removed".

A good buddy of mine is the road foreman for the east end of the line and is concerned about if the CSX Boston local is routed via the grand junction again pending the sale of pan am; it will basically make freight restricted to track 1 east of Framingham which could cause a bottle neck until the 3rd track is put in.

I am not an expert on they AAR clearance plate classing but I know cars exceeding AAR Plate C must receive Special Clearance from Keolis Engineering department to operate on all tracks between Cove and CP-21. I wonder if this new station with the removed under cut will restrict that clearance plate even more because I know the under cut was really used for the hight of the Intermodal trains going to and from Beacon Park.
 #1580051  by bostontrainguy

The Plate C restriction for the Grand Junction is the Memorial Drive Bridge in Cambridge. I saw a box car put out on the old California Paint Company siding there once because it hit the bridge. Gondolas to Everett are probably the only thing that might go that way but from things I have read, Framingham is getting a bit crowded so maybe not.

CSX will be bringing everything in from the northside which has higher clearances (e.g., Plate F reefers to Chelsea). They stated in their merger documents that they do not plan to bring anything in via the B&A but did not absolutely rule it out just in case.
Last edited by CRail on Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1580103  by Trinnau

The vertical height for plate C is 15'6" which just so happens to be the same height the MBTA bi-levels are - found both on a quick internet search. So you won't see anything infringe on that. The Comm Ave bridge over CP-3 is pretty low too.

I've heard from a pretty good source that the undercut on track 2 through Natick Center was excessive and other bridges on the line to the east already had shorter clearances. So they raised track 2 through the new station to try and address the drainage issue but did not reduce clearance to be shorter than what was already the ruling clearance on track 2. In other words no impact to any potential freight operations on track 2.

And as bostontrainguy said Pan Am now has a Plate F cleared route into Everett via the Lowell Line since MBTA took care of the issue near Sullivan Square last year. With most of the Plate C reefers retired nationwide it's really the only option for Chelsea produce.
 #1582562  by rethcir

https://mass.streetsblog.org/2021/09/24 ... re-trains/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/29/ ... -stations/

MBTA Presentation: https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/file ... ible_1.pdf

It appears that there is a relatively good chance (Maybe contingent on the federal Infrastrucure Bill) that the Newton stops get re-built with dual platforms within the next decade.
 #1582612  by BandA

Those designs look like they have problems, such longer walks for pedestrians, and the pedestrian crossover bridge is higher than the adjacent bridges over the railroad tracks (which will never be raised as they are already as high as possible).
 #1593474  by west point

Amtrak is bypassing Worcester station this weekend for construction of temporary platform. Anyone have diagrams or pictures?

Amtrak Alerts
@AmtrakAlerts
Service Advisory Reminder: Lake Shore Limited trains will bypass Worcester (WOR) on March 12 and 13 due to the installation of a temporary platform at the Worcester Station.
http://amtrak.com/alert/worcester-ma-st ... -work.html
 #1593500  by west point

That is not just bad for passengers. No wonder Amtrak is bypassing. I would call it bad and terrible too.
Last edited by CRail on Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "Quote" button as a "Reply" button.
 #1593501  by Trinnau

Unfortunately sometimes progress requires a little pain. They are installing the temporary platform so they can then build a brand-new platform to replace the existing one. Looks like MBTA is going to board out of their layover facility this weekend, and then going forward until the new station platform is built all trains will use the temporary platform off track 1 and not the station track.
 #1593537  by BandA

So, every passenger using the island platform will need to climb three stories (or take elevator or escalator) then go down two stories!! Instead of reusing or rebuilding the walkways that go under the existing tracks - would only have to climb one story.
 #1593538  by BandA

JacobKoppel wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:03 pm Some helpful information about what's going on with the boarding situation at Worcester Station can be found herehttps://www.mbta.com/projects/worcester ... on-station
If they really wanted to do things right, they could extend stub-ended tracks under 290, across Grafton St, up to the east side of the terminal:
As you can see, the 290 spans are completely open. They could put whatever number of stub-end tracks they need to satisfy BOS-WOR trains + layover. Only the Lake Shore Ltd and future Inland Regional or SPG Commuter Rail would need to use the through tracks.
 #1593548  by Red Wing

This is a project that's been needed for awhile! I can't count how many times I've been on the Late for Sure Limited and have been stuck outside the station waiting for the T to clear the platform and then running on the local's taillights all the way to Boston.
 #1593562  by FatNoah

So, every passenger using the island platform will need to climb three stories (or take elevator or escalator) then go down two stories!! Instead of reusing or rebuilding the walkways that go under the existing tracks - would only have to climb one story.
See Slide 12: https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/file ... ble-v2.pdf

The pedestrian bridge connects the east end of the island platform to the T parking lot under and to the the east of I290. The west end of the platform, accessed from the station, look like they'll be an elevator and stairs from below.