• FRA Emergency Order 24

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by freshmeat

I was wondering what other carriers are doing about briefing employees on FRA Emergency Order (EO) 24. At BNSF we were given only a copy of the EO, BNSF's plan and a sheet to sign saying we understood it.

Now that I've changed terminals and subdivision, the new subdivision does things differently than my old one and the FRA ishiding in the weeds and failing people for not doing it "their way" whatever in the world that is.

We have not had classes nor the face-to-face briefings that EO 24 requires.

Any input from other Class I employees???

Thanks.

by DutchRailnut

we got one hour class on Metro North detailing the Emergency order and SPAF forms.

by SteelWheels21

We got briefed by a manager, who checked our conductor logs and then gave us the emergency form and had us sign saying we understood it. I would have liked a more in-depth explanation, including how it applies to some specific local situations, but I'm not holding my breath.

Considering how much of this is Uncle Pete's fault to begin with, I would have expected much more than they have given us.

by jg greenwood

On the IC we were given a short class, signed an attendance form and sent on our way.

by blippo

I'm guessing you might get the same thing as us. A letter in the mail from your company stating you have not received instruction and received your copy of EO-24. That the supervisors are qualified to provide you the EO-24 instruction and to contact your supervisor immediately to avai yourself to the EO-24 training

by GOLDEN-ARM

More bureaucratic BS, if you ask me. We got a 2 minute briefing, and had to sign a receipt, acknowledging the "training", and claiming we understood it. (To be truthfull, it's actually not that complicated, just an additional hour of paperwork, during the day :( :( ) My concern is, if guys are so stupid, as to forget restoring switches to "normal", what makes anyone believe they will remember to sign the form? One more thing to "hang" you with, and only two days ago, I had a CNDR call the switches lined and locked, as well as double-checked normal, only to have the next train report one of the two switches lined and locked reverse, on a mainline!!! As I was 113 cars away from the switches, I wrote down what he said. So much for the protection afforded by that emergency order............(yes, he IS going to an investigation)

by AmtrakFan

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:More bureaucratic BS, if you ask me. We got a 2 minute briefing, and had to sign a receipt, acknowledging the "training", and claiming we understood it.
No Surprise these days with all of the ambulance chasers going left and right for anything. What exactly is this Conductor's Log thing?

by GOLDEN-ARM

Not really a conductors log, but a crew log, of mailine switches handles, outside of yard limits. We now have to call the DS, ask for permission, or inform him of our intent to use a switch. I must then log switch name, MP location, subdivision we are on, time reversed, and time restored to normal. I must then initial the form, each time I fill out an entry. This is for every switch, every time. I must also call the DS back, and report them lined and locked normal. When the CNDR returns to the cab, he must also write down the same stuff, I just wrote, and initial it as well. At the end of the day, he must sign it, and fax it to the DS, as well as call it in, that everything is lined and locked normal. A complete, and total waste of time, due to the "knee-jerk" reactions of the FRA. As per my last post, 2 days after this became the law, I was personal witness to it's failure, even though I was instructed the switches were restored, and locked normal. That F*&#%@G form is just another way to hang a crew. It provides no protection at all, regarding open switches in dark territory. A better solution, would be to mandate signal systems, or at least switch open signals. Switch signals are actually in use, and have been for some time, on portions of the BNSF, in dark territory. They work fine, but the problem is, they cost money. Ask NS if the final costs of that last derailment would have covered the installation of switch position signals. I bet the entire system could have been done, for less than that derailment will ultimately cost them. And those 11 people would still be alive. Just my opinion though, for whatever that's worth. Regards :(

by clearblock

The BLET has an FRA Q&A document available online that discusses EO-24:

http://www.ble-t.org/pr/pdf/Final-QA1104051.pdf

by SnoozerZ49

Where I work, FRA EO 24 compliance hasn't really been a problem for most folks. A majority of our railroad is "dark" Track Warrant Control. In addition we host a daily Amtrak round trip. Switch position awareness has been the point of focus for a while. Sure the form is just one more thing but it really isn't such a big deal. My engineers willingly maintain it for me, I call out the switch no. and its status when opened and closed. At the end of the night a quick review and fax is all it takes. We generally conclude our last move at a switch with a quote like "758 lined and locked for the main", a simple repeat from the engineer and all is done. The guys I work with aren't afraid to talk on the radio and I bet that it is a great opportunity for a rookie to show an engineer that may be a tad bit nervous working with a new guy that things are under control.

Training consisted of the issuance of a Bulletin Order, a mandatory sign off and a brief training session with the Trainmaster. For a professional it was adequate but maybe for the likes of some of the chumps I've spied working on the big "Class I" pike we interchange with it may require a week long training session.

by CSX Conductor

GOLDEN-ARM wrote: This is for every switch, every time.
Only in "dark territory", and as you mentioned, outside of Yard Limits. :wink:

by Form 19

On our railroad, the LIRR, the way we have complied with the FRA order was to issue a General Notice requiring employees at the control of a moving train to stop at every switch that is not protected by a signal of some sort. On the Long Island, the only places where that order would apply would be when we are "Running Against the Current of Traffic"..requiring a stop at every facing point switch.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Correct, if I wasn't clear on this, it's for "dark territory", outside of yard limits. The railroad I am on now, is actually creating "yard limits" on areas with multiple switches, to circumvent this new law, allowing for switches to be "left as lined :wink: " without worrying about following trains. Just when I thought this run couldn't possibly take any longer to complete........ :( :( :(