• Flooding Concerns?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CJ

With the large amount of weekend rain (wcvb and whdh are reporting 7-14 in the boston area alone), should we be concerned about flooding issues?

They were talking about how this rivaled the rainfall and flooding back in 96, and im wondering if the green line will turn into a lake again, though i am aware of the new pumps and emergency procedures, but has anyone heard anything?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

what happened in 1996? what areas flooded and was it bad?

by CJ

Well, apparently the muddy river went over its banks, and flooded parts of the green line.

Here is a nice writeup over at netransit:
http://members.aol.com/netransit8/flood/flood.html

I'm only 'concerned' due to the fact that were right near the same amounts!

by octr202

Its my understanding that whenever the Muddy River is within "striking distance" of flowing into the tunnel at Fenway, they shut down operations on the D line and sandbag the tunnel entrance. Passengers get bused between Fenway and Kenmore.

by CJ

For what its worth, blue line is bussing between orient heights and maverick, im guessing its the small tunnel right between airport and wood island (neptune road iirc)

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wow that flood was insane the pictures are amamzing, how long did it take to pump all that water out?

by danib62

uch I remember that flood so well. I took the green line through kenmore everyday B line in D line out. So they have us get out at blanford and we decide to walk to the fenway stop so we could continue back out on the D. Only thing was the D line was now a river! There was litteraly rapids going down the fenway portal. It was unreal. Green Line service was not the same for some time and the whole subway still smells worse because of it!

by johnpbarlow

It's too bad that the temporary commuter rail shuttles from Riverside didn't attract more ridership. I think B&A used to run "Highland Loop" service from Boston down the Highland branch to the mainline at Riverside and then into Boston (and reverse). If the T ran Riverside shuttle trains now, the Framingham/Worcester local trains could skip the three Newton stops shaving ~5 minutes off their lengthy trips.

by Robert Paniagua

what happened in 1996? what areas flooded and was it bad?

Yep it was, especially fot the aforementioned D Green Line extension and Kenmore Station. All closed for a while and they had to use Commuter Rail trains to accomodate displaced Riverside riders.