• flood lights go up on the FGLK's Auburn Yard.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SRS125

The Finger Lakes Railway is puting Flood lights in the Old Auburn Yard near Nucor Steel. I have not done any railfaning on the line since June but I'm at the guessing point that something is about to happen. Anyone fill us in for the reson outher than for nite operations.

by roc

It's good to be steel in right now. Many if not most plants in the US are running at or near capacity and, thereupon, a fair number are also receiving long-delayed upgrades. Could be something in that vain...
  by CPSD40-2

There's also "new" ( a few months old, I think ) flood lights in the Geneva yard. Looks like part of the reason is visiblity at night for crews, as they're placed near switches along the yard's length. They've also lit up the area right around the shops pretty well. Makes sense, as there was some vandalism on the passenger cars a couple years back before they were re-painted.

by O-6-O

Is there rail service to Nucor? If not, was there ever? Thanks

STEAM ON
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

by SRS125

There is a sideing that holds about 15 cars that gos into Nucor its been there ever sents the Conrail Days but I don't think Austeel at the time was doing much with Rail Transportation till Finger Lakes started runing the line. The Sideing its self is rilly one long lead with a right had switch right off of it that may have held anouther 5 maybe 8 cars?? this added sideing is no longer in use at this time but could be with in short notice.
That section of the loading yard has always been lighted but to my amazement Finger Lakes is adding Yard Lights along the Main Line starting near North & York Streets and runing them just short of Parrine Street. I will say this it will look nice.