Railroad Forums 

• Fletcher Quarry Returns Westford,Ma.

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1558321  by neman2

Due to a posting on the GRS sightings group site I was monitoring District 2 radio at 18:40 hrs today where the dispatcher stated " Delivery made to Fletcher's, derail restored........?" I believe the train was referred to as "AY -?"
 #1558369  by MRY

Well, whatever they pushed/pulled up there from the Stoney Brook definitely crossed the street by Willows Pizza. However, it would not have gotten any further than the cutting shed as there is a large granite block on the tracks just north of Rt. 40. And the tracks just south of Rt. 40 don't look like they've seen a lot of use in several years with the size of the brush growing in the gauge. They must be trucking the raw blocks from the quarry (north) to the cutting shed (south). BTW the sign on the large granite block says they are hiring.
 #1558428  by F74265A

Despite 40 years studying the central Mass rail infrastructure, I had no idea until I saw this that an industrial operation with its own center cab was lurking so close to Ayer. What exactly is the center cab?
 #1558449  by MRY

There's a few pictures of the rail infrastructure in and around the quarry plus some of trains crossing Rt. 40 online. Also there's a video of a passenger excursion too.
 #1558457  by johnpbarlow

I have no idea what load was in what appears to be a Norfolk Southern gondola - I'm curious what kind of load a quarry would receive as I would have expected the quarry to ship loads out, not in. Also, perhaps this is sustainable new business?
 #1558809  by NellsChoo

YUP, the wood would have been used as "cribbing" for the granite... I missed the unloading myself, but I am told two cars were unloaded first, then we caught them as they were returned to the Stony Brook switch... then they returned with the third loaded gondola. Then it was time to go home!

:-)