Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1636450  by RandallW

BART news release:
Thanks to a revised schedule, and an accelerated monthly delivery rate of new rail cars, the project is expected to cost $394 million less than when the contract was awarded in 2012.

[...]

The original contract awarded for 775 cars forecast a project cost of $2.584 billion but an October 2023 financial update lowered the forecast by 15%, to $2.190 billion. Over the course of 11 years, BART and the manufacturer, Alstom, have increased the pace of making and delivering the cars, resulting in significant savings.
 #1636461  by lensovet

Read the transcript for the podcast here: https://www.bart.gov/news/articles/2024/news20240109

It appears that payment for these was at time of delivery and the contract had an automatic inflation adjustment every year. Therefore, speeding up delivery meant that they will have fewer years of inflation adjustments to pay, resulting in cost savings.
 #1636472  by RandallW

I understand that an assembly line has a fixed cost to maintain, even if it isn't being operated at capacity (i.e., leases on equipment for that line don't stop just because the equipment's idle) and Alstom may want to fully utilize that equipment before replacing it for a different assembly line.

So one scenario could be that if Alstom's price assumed their factory could build 20 cars, and they were bidding on the BART and MBTA Orange Line contracts at the same time, and were still working on an NYMTA contract with a contracted deliver rate of 8 cars a month (I don't know that they were, this is just a scenario), Alstom could bid to BART and MBTA a rate of 6 cars a month, possibly increasing to 10 after the NYMTA contract completes, but when Alstom lost the MBTA contract, and completed the NYMTA contract and isn't bidding on any new contracts it now has a capacity to complete the BART contract it won faster, it could be to both BART's and Alstom's benefit to not run that line at full capacity as it may allow Alstom to retain and use union labor while the SEPTA and ConnDOT orders are still being designed (we saw what a mess it is if talent disappears and you have to rebuild that labor pool with CAF's struggles with the ViewLiners for Amtrak).
 #1636527  by lensovet

Actually the original plan was to deliver 10 cars a month and Bombardier requested 16 and BART agreed. This was why the delivery schedule was shorter than originally budgeted. And the reason the shorter delivery timeframe resulted in savings was as I wrote above, because they ended up paying less in inflation adjustments.
 #1636562  by electricron

lensovet wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:18 pm Actually the original plan was to deliver 10 cars a month and Bombardier requested 16 and BART agreed. This was why the delivery schedule was shorter than originally budgeted. And the reason the shorter delivery timeframe resulted in savings was as I wrote above, because they ended up paying less in inflation adjustments.
As I might add, for both Bombardier (the manufacturer) and BART (the customer).
Which proves once again, time is money. Bringing projects in on time (or in advance) and on budget (or under budget) is best for everyone. Late projects are almost always over budget.
 #1636577  by eolesen

There's probably some oversight cost at the plant on the part of BART. It's not uncommon in other industries to have someone physically onsite. No idea if that carries over to transit.