• FLASH! Guilford engine stuck on Watertown Branch!!

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NellsChoo

NEWS FLASH!!

There is a Guilford engine and two corn syrup tankers stuck under a bridge in Cambridge on the Watertown Branch as I type!! It seems the tankers were sandwiched between two GRS engines, but the little train got stuck inching along the Watertown Branch (to Newlyweds?). After examining the situation, we decided what must have happened is the wonderful roadbed was waterlogged and the train sunk way down into mud, which appears to have derailed the train. Or perhaps it simply stalled or lost traction. As of about 45 minutes ago, the stuck engine was running with used Dunkin' Donuts coffee items sitting on it.

The rear engine seems to have been lucky, and headed back towards the Fresh Pond rotary. It is sitting by the Sunoco gas station there. It is running as well. Word is they will have to get a crane into that tight area. I don't know if that is possible, unless the ground freezes and the roadbed can handle the weight of a work train, or can get around the bridge situation.

If anyone has new or corrected info on this somewhat humorous situation, please feel free to type it here. I will try to post pics ASAP!

PS:
Dear Guilford,
I understand why you don't like to go down the
Watertown Branch. But perhaps it would not
be so bad if you did at least a little
maintainance to the roadbed, ties, etc.
I am happy, though, to have seen one of your
engines on this branch. I live not too far away
but have never seen you on this last symbol
of railroading's hayday. I hope you get your
engine out, and don't abandon the line because
if this whole mess.

Sincerely,

Jonelle D.
Local Railfan

by NellsChoo

OK, here are a few pics:

by TPR37777

It definitely appears off the rails, the pilot is resting on the iron. I hope this doesn't spell the end for service on the branch. From what I remember that underpass suffered from standing water for years, it's a wonder the ties lasted this long.

by AmtrakFan

Well that happened to 3985 about 11 Yrs ago in VA. Another thought that wasn't too bright. Is the Crew ok?

John

by octr202

I believe it happened Saturday night (12/18/04). About 5:45 PM Sat. I was coming down Fresh Pond Parkway and saw the 305 sitting under the overpass from the Fresh Pond park driveway. The train was still together at that time. There were several GRS work trucks in the parking lot next to the line.

As of this evening about 8:00 the 305 was still sitting by the Sunoco right at the Fresh Pond Parkway grade crossing -- surprised the heck out of me to still see it there. Since it was raining I didn't get out to see if it was still running.

by NellsChoo

I bet it was running since when we were there a few hours before, both engines were running. I also bet the crew is fine, as speeds along the branch must be ultra-slow! And the donut/coffee evidence... don't forget that! HA! :-D

JD

by kwf

So I guess this happened on Sat, so I'm guessing this was a special move, as they don't usually serve Newlyweds on weekends, and I am also gonna guess that they don't usually have tanks in the consist. Anybody out there with info to clarify?

by NellsChoo

I was wondering about those corn syrup tanks myself. I thought Newlyweds made dry things like mixes and spices. Corn Syrup doesn't seem to fit into that group, though I can, of course, be wrong.

It is rather snowy in this part of MA right now, so I wonder if they will put off the rescue until tomorrow...

JD

by CSX Conductor

NellsChoo wrote:I bet it was running since when we were there a few hours before, both engines were running.
I'm willing to bet that both units were left running, due to the very low temperatures for the past couple of days. :wink:

by CRail

I'll bet they will wait until everything melts later this week. The temps are supposed to be in the fiftys, precip will be lousy though.

by NellsChoo

I wonder if the warmer weather will cause more trouble, though. I mean, all this snow will turn into more mud. Right now it is cold enough to make the roadbed more stable. (my computer says it is 14 right now)

by octr202

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they'd try to drag everything out of there while its frozen solid these next couple of days. That might be easier than trying to work in the mud down there.

by NellsChoo

UPDATE:

My boyfriend drove by and the mess has been cleared up! I have tomorrow off and was hoping to watch!!!

Oh well... I guess Guilford CAN do some things fast! :wink:

by kwf

Did they "fix" the track, too?

by CSX Conductor

Not surprised that they wanted to get that engine out of there, after all they are short already since the 351 is on loan to the East Brookfield & Spencer RR. :wink: