• Flag stops

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jfrey40535

Why doesen't SEPTA make more use of the flag stop designation for stations?

For example, on alot of late-night runs (after 9pm), I often see us stopping at stations for no reason. I assume its to keep time. Why not make most stations flag stops to allow faster moving and smoother rides?

Only once did I ride a late night train where the crew used their own discretion and skipped stops. I was on a Warminster Branch train bound for center city around 10:30pm. After we passed Jenkintown, the conductor asked everyone if they were getting off anywhere besides center city. Everyone said no, so we skipped almost all stops till we got to Market East.

by R3 Rider

As with a lot of things I've seen on PM trains after peak hours, it seems to be the conductor's discretion. Some stop at every stop whether there's people getting off or not, but normally they'll ask passengers about low traffic stops (on the West Trenton, that's usually Rydal, Meadowbrook, and Trevose).

by Irish Chieftain

Why not make most stations flag stops to allow faster moving and smoother rides?
On RRD, that sure doesn't make for smoother rides. Can't go from track speed to a dead stop especially when someone's flag-boarding. There's no "next station" buzzer for flag stops where passengers get off, either, only the conductor's buzzer.

More treatment of the RRD like they were an FRA-controlled interurban. If you have trains ahead of you on the same track and they're stopping, your train would have to slow down nonetheless...

by jfrey40535

so on the low ridership stops (and SEPTA KNOWS which ones they are), why not make better use of the system? Or are they afraid they might miss someone who didnt think to stand in view of the conductor?[/u]

by walt

In order for this to work on the RRD, you would have to employ a Route 100 ( P&W) type signal system where a potential passenger wishing to board at a "flag stop" station would be required to activate a signal to indicate to the train crew that a passenger was waiting to board. This signal would have to be located far enough down the track to allow a train to slow from its running speed to make the stop. It is not certain, in my mind at least, that this type of system would work as well on the RRD as it has on the old P&W, since it takes longer to stop the commuter railroad equipment than it does the interurban or Light Rail Equipment used on the P&W.
  by Matthew Mitchell

jfrey40535 wrote:For example, on alot of late-night runs (after 9pm), I often see us stopping at stations for no reason. I assume its to keep time. Why not make most stations flag stops to allow faster moving and smoother rides?]
To a large extent, it is to remain on schedule instead of being early. There is a lot of slack in most RRD schedules.

by Clearfield

SEPTA generally does not like flag-stops because they wreak havoc with schedules.

by jfrey40535

I've been doing alot of late night riding, and there definitely is alot of stopping for nothing.

Why not put a "F" and "D" designation next to those stations. For example, the last outbound Malvern, inbound Wilmington, outbound Doylestown trains make stops for no reason. On the last trains out, where you're primarily discharging it would save alot of wear & tear on the brakes to do this, plus speed up the trip.

SEPTA doesen't seem to mind buses running ahead of schedule, are the trains only allowed to run late?