• Fixed Signals @ Track Pans

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by urrengr2003

What aspect did the fixed signals at the entrance end and leaving end of a Track Pan convey. Was the entrance signal capable of two indications to inform an engineman the Track Pan was not in service? This signal aspect information evidently was gained from the TT Special Instructions as there is no mention of this information in either the '37 or '56' Rule Book.

by Noel Weaver

It seems to me that if a track pan was not able to be used or was not in
service, crews would be notified in advance by bulletin order as they
would likely need to make other arrangements for necessary water while
enroute.
Track pans were a very important part of the operation on the railroads
that used them.
Noel Weaver
  by lbagg91833

The only "SIGNALS" were "DROP SCOOP", and "RAISE SCOOP". ENGINEER would instruct the FIREMAN to activate the SCOOP, then holler out to "DROP SCOOP", then "RAISE SCOOP"....Rare event to witness this event onboard, but singular .
  by lbagg91833

Think NOEL is correct that the "TRACK TROUGHS" that were OOS were covered by BULLETIN ORDERS.....My tenure on NYCRR was in the transition yrs when the TRACK PANS were being eliminated. LAB

by urrengr2003

What were the day & night aspects of the signals DROP SCOOP & RAISE SCOOP?

by shlustig

IIRC, a purple light (similar to a switch stand target light) located just prior to the start and end of the track pan.

by tocfan

I have a lens from a a trough marker and it is a brilliant blue. I hope to build a housing for it so I can display it lighted.

Mike Fleming
President, Memphis Society of Model Railroaders

by urrengr2003

I received an old Adlakle Lantern from an old NYC Yardmaster he wanted me to restore for him. Could never figure exactly for what service it was designed. It has one Purple Step Lens of non-standard size. Apparently was a Track Pan Lamp. Because of non-standard size lens, could not obtain any lense for other roundels so I did him a Marker Lamp with all four lenses that was on hand and kept the single Purple Lamp. Now I know what it could have been used for; lense is Purple, not Blue as used for Rule #26, and not Lunar White as was used on inside switch lamps to designate normal route. Guess I stumbled into something unique...thanks for the information.
  by ChiefTroll

In the 1937 NYCRR "Rules for the Government of the Operating Department," Page 109, "TRACK PAN LIGHTS." the aspects were:

Rule 299 - Lunar White, "Scoop may be lowered at this point."

Rule 299A - Blue, "Scoop must be raised at this point."

If a track pan was out of service, it had to be covered by a bulletin order or a train order, because the engineer was responsible for his water supply and he had to know where and how he could take water. If he couldn't take a drink from the track pan, he might have to spot his tank at the pipe.

I would assume that the signals would be extinguished when the pan was out of service. They show in the book as single-lens searchlight signals, with a lamp serving as a day and night aspect.

Gordon Davids