• Fitchburg Line Upgrade Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by BostonUrbEx

400 went to Wachusett and left on time. Looks like service is good to go.
  by jaymac

As of 0725/11-21-2016, 5-15 minute delays were posted for both 404 and 406. There's still the 2 OOS between FG and 330 and having to still get equipment west out of the old layover to 333 instead of east from the new layover is an extra layer of complication.
  by leviramsey

25 mph between Fitchburg and Wachusett.
  by leviramsey

A 25-minute delayed 410 leaving Wachusett, though, is absolutely flying east of Fitchburg.
  by StefanW

I've heard reports from passengers on Fitchburg line trains that the huge numbers of delays since the start of service to Wachusett on Monday morning have been due to a dispute between PAS and MBTA/Keolis over trackage rights. Apparently PAS is not allowing Keolis trains to proceed as planned, and may even be deliberately fouling the main line with freight trains. I was told this from a regular Fitchburg line commuter who said this was information from the Keolis crew. There may even be a lawsuit in the mix. This apparently also is the reason why the new Westminster layover is not yet in service.
  by leviramsey

I was told by the crew on 410 that it was basically Pan Am being Pan Am.
  by Rockingham Racer

You mean to say this wasn't all worked out prior to initiating service out to Wachusett? If not, you can't make this stuff up.
  by jaymac

If the reports are true about deliberateness on the part of PAS, it could go a long way to explaining why the Nashua River UGB remains out of service and creates an unnecessary bottleneck at Fitchburg and why BFPO was not held at CPF-333, but sent ahead of 404 on 11-21 and held at CPF-330, allowing only the 1 track for WB equipment moves and EB revenue moves.
The Hotel Manger -- later Madison -- is only a memory, but it does seem dog-in-the-manger mentality might be in force. New rail, new ties, new stone new signaling: Truly, no good deeds go unpunished.
  by Backshophoss

Is there some disagreement about the "OLD" layup yard's condition/useage rights?
Or over the amount of MBTA's trains in the "new" 2 track territory?
This is like the"Downeaster" fight for trackage rights under Guilford /ST
or begging for more $$$$$ from MassDOT. :P :P
Begininng to think it would have been better to have MBTA/Keolis taken over dispatching this streach of trackage
  by jaymac

Things seemed a bit smoother for the early part of 11-23-2016. POED WB on 1 west of CPF-330 slowed down the 406 and 408 equipment moves a bit. 404 called the 1 CPF-GL as Medium Approach at 0633 for a 0628 departure. As a possible sign of things possibly getting better, there was a lit tamper at the east end of the OOS 2 Nashua River UGB just west of the Water Street OHB at 0630.
  by dbperry

Backshophoss wrote:Is there some disagreement about the "OLD" layup yard's condition/useage rights?
No
Backshophoss wrote:Or over the amount of MBTA's trains in the "new" 2 track territory?
No
Backshophoss wrote:This is like the"Downeaster" fight for trackage rights under Guilford /ST
No
Backshophoss wrote:or begging for more $$$$$ from MassDOT. :P :P
Not as I understand it. Although hard to say anything is never about $$.
  by leviramsey

Keolis crews are qualifying between Wachusett and the layover (I asked when I saw 414 platform at Wachusett from the west, with a Pan Am employee watching like a hawk from the parking lot railing).
  by StefanW

Anyone know if the hand-throw switch yard lead --> main line on the west end of the layover has been finished yet? When I was out in the layover yard September 30 taking pictures that was the last major piece of track work that was completely missing. (I don't consider switch heaters to be major components but I hope they are installed by now too!)
  by leviramsey

I know it's late but I was told by a conductor on Wednesday evening that the Wachusett layover was targeted to go into service for Black Friday (though whether that means that trains coming from there on Friday AM or laying over on Friday PM, I don't know).

It looked like every train departed Wachusett on time this morning from a couple of glances at Stefan's tracker, which may support the hypothesis about the layover being active now.

I'm on 412 right now and we've been running at 40+ mph between Wachusett and Fitchburg except for the work area around the Nashua River bridge(s). My previous trips had mostly been at 25, so I'm taking it that apart from the Nashua River bridges, the speed restrictions are gone.
  by jaymac

levi-
Dunno the exact layover when, but yes. If you haven't already done so, please check the 11-28 "Gardner Gawking" for references on what had and hadn't been done.
Last edited by jaymac on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.