Railroad Forums 

• FEC Miami Port Line - Downtown Spur

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1640195  by Gilbert B Norman

I believe the caption of the immediate photo on the preceding page needs to be perfected.

It appears to me that such is where the Port Spur X's First Ave at what would be 7th Street if there was such extending that far East. Miami Central is visible from where the photo was taken, but to imply that a train could go from Miami Central to the Port is simply incorrect. However, it would be possible for a Southbound Brightline train to access the Port on existing trackage, but not, absent a backup move starting in the Wynwood area, both.

Only Sir Richard, when he tried to "horn in" on Brightline could envision a Miami Central-Port operation. But his Love Tub, with its Western most berth at the Port, does embrace it - even if it has now been surpassed by that new one "Icon whatever".

In all the years I've made my journey to Miami for a Cleveland Orchestra concert and stayed at Marriott Biscayne Bay (this "orchestra groupie" just has to be where they stay), I have yet to observe a train entering or leaving the Port. This past January, I felt "robbed" by that hotel when, after paying extra for a high floor and what I thought would be a Port view, they gave me high floor but a Bay view looking North over Biscayne Bay. As a result, I missed seeing the 1030P maiden sailing (maiden voyage was delivering it from the overseas shipyard) of that "Icon tub" complete with fireworks.