• FDNY regulation of Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:20 pm
bdawe wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:07 am there was that great 'freight through penn' thread of a few years back
Sounds like a potential revenue source for Amtrak. Maybe just containers on flats coming through at night?
In case you forgot, Amtrak tried to get some M&E service, and the Class Is threw the no freight clause of RPSA 70 in their face.

Freight on Amtrak will not happen, not even on the NEC. Period.
  by STrRedWolf

John_Perkowski wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:18 pm
In case you forgot, Amtrak tried to get some M&E service, and the Class Is threw the no freight clause of RPSA 70 in their face.

Freight on Amtrak will not happen, not even on the NEC. Period.
Then why does NS and CSX (two Class I's) have track rights?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, granting trackage to Conrail was how Amtrak "paid for" the Corridor. It was deemed to have been "paid for" sometime around '99.

Conrail successors, CSX, NS, CRSA all continue to have trackage, but it is in their financial interest to route traffic over their own roads when possible.

Incidentially, from "know so first hand", the transaction to buy the Corridor from CRC occurred one nanosecond after same occurred on C-Day April 1 1976 at 1201A (there's no midnight on the railroad, lest we forget) between CRC and the PC Estate. No way was there to be same between Amtrak and the Estate, for when a party buys assets, they've also buying the contingent liabilities, such as injuries to persons that occurred on such property.
  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 am Conrail successors, CSX, NS, CRSA all continue to have trackage, but it is in their financial interest to route traffic over their own roads when possible.
Very true. Unfortunately, I can say that NS is forced to go on the NEC around Perryville on occasion (I can search some logs, but within the past 20 years). I think (if I remember correctly) there's no direct NS connection from Perryville to Bayview (where NS has a yard).

So "Never going on the NEC" isn't really true.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, of course "never going on the NEC" is hardly true, especially for the NS.

CSX of course can reach Philly on their own rails; and I think CRSA covers them into NY.

NS would sooner route East-West traffic over the CNJ-RDG to Harrisburg, thence the PRR. North-South traffic, RDG-Hbg-PRR-Hagerstown-N&W-Winston-Salem-SRY.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu May 07, 2020 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by nomis

For the purpose of this thread and the questions of freight on the corridor under tunnels near NYP, CSX solely has rights from Sunnyside west towards New York. Conrail Shared Assets (CSX & NS) holds the freight rights west of New York to Philadelphia.

I stand with the Col’s assertion that freight ina nd around NYP, ain’t gonna happen.
  by DutchRailnut

Whole conversation of freight in NYP and its tunnels is kind of moot, there is hardly any cars left that can fit under much lower catenary in the complex. and even well cars used as single level container car may interfere with third rail. add to that that containers in such well cars are useless to a small customer as doors can not be opened inside the well.
  by scratchyX

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:48 am
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:42 am Conrail successors, CSX, NS, CRSA all continue to have trackage, but it is in their financial interest to route traffic over their own roads when possible.
Very true. Unfortunately, I can say that NS is forced to go on the NEC around Perryville on occasion (I can search some logs, but within the past 20 years). I think (if I remember correctly) there's no direct NS connection from Perryville to Bayview (where NS has a yard).

So "Never going on the NEC" isn't really true.
I thought the reason Martin's airport has low platforms is so NS can run freights up to the Lockheed plant there. Or was that just for coal trains to the now closed Power Plant north of chase?
  by Tadman

Mod note - we've drifted afar, the FDNY question has been answered. Also, it's very unlikely that freight will run through NYP. Please start a new topic.