• Fatality on Providence commuter rail line?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Ron Newman

From MBTA.com Transit Update page:

"Commuter Rail Providence/Stoughton service has been restored (1-track operation w/significant residual delays) after earlier medical emergency problem - fatality. Substitute busing between Route #128 and Mansfield stations has been canceled."

Anyone know more?

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

people are stupid, that is just the bottom line, STAY OFF THE TRACKS

by Robert Paniagua

I read about that in the Boston Globe this morning, it happened at Sharon Station, but the train engineer never stopped and the only way they learned that the train hit someone was the evidence of blood in the bottom of the locomotive. I wonder how the engineer (Amtrak) didn't realize right away at Sharon.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Amtrak trains speeds through Sharon are : 130 mph for Acela and 120 for regionals.....he probably didnt hear it where did they find out he hit someone? in Providence

by Robert Paniagua

Actually the train was headed northbound towards Boston.

by WonderlandMan

Amtrak train strikes, kills pedestrian

October 22, 2006

An Amtrak train en route to Boston from Richmond struck and killed a person in Sharon last night, according to a spokesman for the rail operator. The train's conductor reported striking something about 7:15 p.m., but continued to South Station. Once there, Amtrak workers noticed blood on the front of the locomotive. The victim's body was discovered during a search of the tracks, which are owned by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority but maintained by Amtrak, the spokesman said. MBTA, Amtrak, and Sharon police would not release the victim's identity pending notification of kin and plan to continue their investigation today.
Heres the article from Boston.com/The Boston Globe

by CSX Conductor

Sharon has had a few people off themselves in recent years, especailly since it's high speed and blind curve eastbound make it inevitable that they will be hit. A two-hundred lb. body getting smacked by a train at a speed like this would hardly be heard, and definately not felt, by the engineer.

by GP40MC 1116

Robert Paniagua wrote:Actually the train was headed northbound towards Boston.
That would mean Control Cab first, and at the speeds the train moves, I don't think anyone could hear anything of a person hitting the train, it's just too much going on and too loud an environment to hear anything I believe

by AEM7AC920

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
That would mean Control Cab first, and at the speeds the train moves, I don't think anyone could hear anything of a person hitting the train, it's just too much going on and too loud an environment to hear anything I believe
It was an Amtrak train, no control car

by Ron Newman

I wonder if the automatic "Train approaching. Stand behind yellow line" announcement was working properly at Sharon.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

if it wasn't, Amtrak trains are only allowed 110 mph through stations with the warning systems not working, but that is still fast and they are queit.....but how can you not notice the bright lights of an approaching train, or a blast of the horn for the station approach???

by Ron Newman

I'm just wondering if this was someone who didn't understand that some trains pass through the station without stopping, and stood too close to the tracks (not behind the yellow line).

by GP40MC 1116

AEM7AC920 wrote:
GP40MC 1116 wrote:
It was an Amtrak train, no control car
Ahh Thanks for the clarification

by CSX Conductor

Whether the TAMS were working on the platform or not wouldn't have made any difference if it was a suicide, which wasn't ruled out yet.