• Fatality (1887)

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Perry

My great-great grandfather, Edward Wells, was "killed at work" (we believe in Boston) on 30 Jun 1887. He was a brakeman for the NY&NERR. Family legend is that he was crushed to death between two cars. Other than his obituary, below, I've been unable to find anything about the accident. Any more information would be gratefully accepted!

Newspapers checked were the Boston Globe, Boston Herald, Boston Post, and New York Times.

Newspapers not checked yet are the Boston Morning Globe and the New York Times.

Obituary in the Framingham Gazette, July 7, 1877 reads: The funeral of Conductor Edward F. Wells, a former resident of Saxonville, who was killed while at work on the New York & New England Railroad one day last week, occured at the Methodist church last Saturday, the Odd Fellows and Masons attending.
  by CVRA7

I have seen references to accidents in state railroad commissioner's reports although they are not usually very detailed.

by Perry

Thanks, I'll look into that!

-Perry-

by 3rdrail

Don't know what kind of progress you've had since the post, but I would suggest taking a few hours off in the Boston Public Library Copley Square Branch. There might be documentation there in the form of newspaper microfische or other journals such as was already suggested. A few years back, I did research into the death of a Boston Police Officer killed in the line of duty, prior to your date, and was able to come up with all sorts of information, etc. Good luck.