Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by philipmartin

Sometimes the amount of money I charge people makes me feel sorry for them. I just had a lady, not affluent, with two teenage children, going between Middletown, NJ and New York, Friday (peak,) Saturday and Sunday. She paid 187.50. These fares are crushing for some people.
Last edited by philipmartin on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Ken S.

sullivan1985 wrote:Then let them all ride free next time!
LOL! You've just won an award.
  by Grump

philipmartin wrote:Sometimes the amount of money I charge people makes me feel sorry for them. I just had a lady, not affluent, with two teenage children, going between Middletown, NJ and New York, Friday (peak,) Saturday and Sunday. She paid 187.50. These fares are crushing for some people.
How do you know she wasn't affluent or what they were up to?

Next....................
  by sullivan1985

philipmartin wrote:These fares are crushing for some people.
So because a woman who doesn't speak English (I assume Mexican) is moving two teenage children around she should be subjected to a lesser fare than the rest of the passengers? I get people on the trains that play the "I don't speak English" game all the time. Then when you put the $5 extra on top of the fare, suddenly they know all kinds of English! Imagine that!
  by Grump

And its ok for the guy with a suit and tie to pay the regular fare because its assumed he has less financial hardship?
  by ADL6009

philipmartin wrote:Sometimes the amount of money I charge people makes me feel sorry for them. I just had a lady, not affluent, with two teenage children, going between Middletown, NJ and New York, Friday (peak,) Saturday and Sunday. She paid 187.50. These fares are crushing for some people.
$187.50 ???!?

is this the Amtrak forum or NJT ? lol
  by Jtgshu

Its 3 adult people making 3 seperate trips to NY on 3 seperate days. (9 total trips)

It doesn't seem that outragous to me

Inbetween Gas Tolls and Parking for 3 trips to NY to/from Middletown in a car, its not THAT bad......
  by Marv95

$20 each from only Middletown is a bit steep IMO. I could understand if it were south of Long Branch. Tell em to take Academy.
  by Uzi-Cat

Every job he has done on NJT has been done poorly. Why would his current position at NJT be any different. Worry a little less about the "quality" of people buying tickets from you and focus a little more on doing your job well. Thanks for coming in.
  by Passaic River Rat

Phil,

I know what you mean. But remember, this country was settled by people who did not rely on NJT to get them where they had to go. The west was settled by people riding on horseback. The people on the Mayflower did not have RTX tickets. I could go on.
  by Jtgshu

Passaic River Rat wrote: The people on the Mayflower did not have RTX tickets. I could go on.
THAT, I do believe, is "the quote of the day!"

HAHAHAHA

I think this calls for a photoshop! Sully, IR? Any takers?
  by sullivan1985

Hey! At least these poor people aren't living in station offices!
  by TheTroll

Passaic River Rat wrote:
Phil,

I know what you mean. But remember, this country was settled by people who did not rely on NJT to get them where they had to go. The west was settled by people riding on horseback. The people on the Mayflower did not have RTX tickets. I could go on.
This country was settled before the folks came over on the Mayflower, and the others that went out west. :P
  by Jtgshu

TheTroll wrote:
Passaic River Rat wrote:
Phil,

This country was settled before the folks came over on the Mayflower, and the others that went out west. :P
Ain't that the truth....but that whole culture is largely lost, except for funky spelt names and towns that people can't say correctly....

For the record, I have a tiny sliver of American Indian heritage left in me, Seneca Tribe, from Upstate NY.....im not sure off hand who/where/when the relation was, but ive seen it in my family tree.

I guess they could be considered to have "prior rights" (to use a RR term :) trying to get back on topic, whatever topic is left that is...... hahahah)