• Fare Evaders/Free Rides

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JackieS

Arrow... a lot may be newer, but I know I sit on some of those broken sagging leaning to the front to dump you brown seats. I'm not up on my car types, but boy do I know those seats and those cars themselves... broken doors stay open, noisy... and those SEATS!

:D

There still are some on the line, though not as many as a few months back.

by Jtgshu

Arrow, oh trust me I know that recognition by management in any position for a job well done is severely lacking in todays society. And it truely is a shame, because lots of people just wanna hear "Good job" thats it, and they would be happier workers, and a happier worker is most times, more productive and benefical to the company, because they are not spending their time thinking about how much they hate it and how they can get back at them.....and taking what they feel is "owed" to them to make up for substandard pay, working conditions, etc.....

But there is a difference between a "normal" (i use that term lightly) private sector job and such a public, interactive job as being a front line employee for NJT. (or any other similar state agency, DMV comes to mind) When things go wrong, Im the guy you love to hate. "Its all YOUR fault......I pay YOUR salary, you work for ME,........... how dare you charge me extra, I pay enough already in taxes,.........do you konw who I know?.........do you know who I am?????........you all suck and have no idea what anyone is doing........" oh the list goes on and on.

I know lots of people that hate DMV, I know lots of people that hate NJT. Its a guilt by association thing, and to these people, I, me, my body IS NJT, so therefore they hate me. Im where their taxdollars go, and Im the service they get. Its MY fault wehn things don't work, and its a great big conspriacy to just royally piss someone off, and we get our jollies out of it. Yup, we do, and we all love sitting on delayed trains in the middle of nowhere, because 8 plus hours on a train a day ISN'T QUITE ENOUGH........

The attacking from all sides really can wear on a person, and its not always easy to keep a straight and happy face. I know ive pissed people off, cars have been closed when people thought they should have been open (but there are PLENTY of seats in the next car and the whole rest of the train, but I do open cars when there aren't enough initially open, I don't keep a private car). Ive been told off, and I have told off.....Ive charged extra not caring "who they know" Ive had my employee number taken down and letters threatened against me. Hell, ive had my life threatened too. Ive been pissed off and even pissed on!!!!

But the point of the matter is I can't take anything personally, or i should say, I try not to take anything personally. But sometiems I do, its hard not to. But its all part of the job, and I know that.

Arrow, your right, there are some people who are loads and lazy and make the hard workers and the people who care about their job (in any job and position and career) look bad, because a wide brush is often used to paint everyone. But I think its a very dangerous thing to say "one line has nicer and more professsional crew members" because lots of times, you can't compare the lines in a far manner.

If Im working a 3 car Gladstone train, one car a piece, with 50 people in each car, im gonna be happy and pleasant. If Im working 3 cars on an evening NEC westbound 12 car train, with 50 plus people standing in each car and people paying games every chance they get, im not gonna be so happy and pleasant.

And Im a happy person DAMNIT!!!! :D :D :wink:

by nick11a

arrow wrote:Older equipment on the RVL? Not anymore. Except for the one Comet IB set that is out there everything else is Comet IIM, III, IV, and V.

Nick will be happy to know that I saw a train with 5 Comet Vs and a Comet IIM today on the RVL, that's the most I've ever seen on one train on this line!
I saw a SOLID Comet V set on Saturday and a SOLID Comet IV/IIM set as well. I was VERY happy to see that. (And yes, I am very happy. :D)

EDIT: And Jt, since you don't get a good job from work, here's a good job from me. You're one of the most dedicated conductors there are. You're kind and courteous with passengers where applicable, you deal with the bad and crazy passengers the best you can, you go out of your way for passengers (remeber Red Bank in May????? :D ), you're a very pleasant person, you've got a sense of humour, etc. etc. ad. nauseum. And don't get jealous BigC or Wpdg or the rest. I'm sure all of you are excellent conductors as well. I just haven't had the pleasure of riding on your trains yet (as far as I know- but odds are I probably have.) So good job all in here (you to engineers.)

Now that this mutual respect society is completed, I'm gonna go vommit. :wink:

EDIT AGAIN: And Arrow, I gotta hand it to you. You really can start a really good hot topic! :wink:

by arrow

JackieS wrote:Arrow... a lot may be newer, but I know I sit on some of those broken sagging leaning to the front to dump you brown seats. I'm not up on my car types, but boy do I know those seats and those cars themselves... broken doors stay open, noisy... and those SEATS!

Yup those are the Comet IBs. At least when they were mixed with Comet IIs we could get away from them, but now they are run by themselves.

by nick11a

arrow wrote:
JackieS wrote:Arrow... a lot may be newer, but I know I sit on some of those broken sagging leaning to the front to dump you brown seats. I'm not up on my car types, but boy do I know those seats and those cars themselves... broken doors stay open, noisy... and those SEATS!

Yup those are the Comet IBs. At least when they were mixed with Comet IIs we could get away from them, but now they are run by themselves.
Yeah, I remember those good old days (only a year ago.) I first started riding the RVL when all the Comet IIs were gone, but they still had the Comet IIB/IB mixed sets. The IIBs were almost exactly like the interiors of the Comet Is.
  by Jtgshu

Well, thanks nick, I appreciate that, and I do remember that train:

"STTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP THHHHHHHEEEEEEE TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!! OH MY GOD, I HAVE TO GET OFF OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD"................. "I know YOU weren't the one that stopped the train for me, so next time, should I just pull this handle when I leave my purse on the platform????" "NO don't do that, and YES, I was the one who stopped the train, thank you very much...." :D SHHHHHHHHHESSSHHHHHH

but I don't wanna make it sound like Im bitching and moaning here, but I have a management degree, and have run various forms of businesses and operations in my time before the railroad, a restaurant, a lawn service, a bus service, and a few other things, and I like to think I did a damn good job in what I did, and I took pride in what I do and did. But what pisses me off the most here at NJT isn't so much the non recognition from the passengers, thats almost expected, and doesn't surprise, me, but rather the management style of the company, and vast seperation that seems to exist between management and the front line employees. Instead of trying to make things better, and working together to do so, they just try to throw their "power" around even more, and make themselves look important, to save themselves and their position.

In case no one has noticed either from posts here, by me and others or from the various Star Ledger articles and reading of them between the lines, there is a major labor relations problem at NJT. Morale is probably at an all time low, and management finds something petty each week to bother us about (solid black socks, and the height of the soles of shoes) instead of focusing on REAL problems and finding real solutions (don't use crappy parts and equipment and defer maintence and maybe wheels won't fall off trains, just a thought) But God forbid if Joe Schmoe the trainman doesn't have solid black socks on....... but all this hostility trickles down. It starts at the upper management level, trickels down to the vast layers of middle management, then snowballs to the lowest layers, and finally to the guys on the bottom, the front line employees, the trainmen, engineers, ticket agents, track workers, mechanical guys, etc, and it then becomes part of them, and is reflective in the work they do, their demeaner on the train, their attitude towards the job, and really starts to permiate into the core of a person, and eventually can turn a good person sour and into a world hating cranky ol bastard who hates the world, themselves and anything else imagineable. And in the end, the final receiver of this hostiliy is the lowly passenger.

The people with heart, who have pride in themselves do their damnest to reverse this trend. There are a few members of management who I can think of off the top of my head, and there are some front line employees who I work with on a daily basis who try to do their best to not let this hostility cancer envelop them, and I KNOW that I am one of them. And there are others who post here and others who don't, that I know of adn work with that are stronger individually and overcome the almost brainwashing of bitterness, (you have to be miserable to work on the railroad, why are you happy, kid) and they are the people who still, day in and day out, come to work, do the best damn job they can, and do it, when possible with a smile on their face.

Sheesh - who pissed in my Wheaties????? :P

by TR-00

Guilt by association? How true. Rather than face the embarassment my kids would have felt when they told their friends that their dad worked for NJ Transit, I simply told them I was piano player in a whorehouse...much less embarassing.

by nick11a

TR-00 wrote:Guilt by association? How true. Rather than face the embarassment my kids would have felt when they told their friends that their dad worked for NJ Transit, I simply told them I was piano player in a whorehouse...much less embarassing.
Funny. My Dad would be much happier if I worked on the RR instead of what I currently am doing. Some people even give me funny looks when I tell them I'm a music education student. Then when I tell some folks I go to Rutgers, then they think I'm the lowest scum of the lows.

Point is, people are dissaproving in whatever you do. You're not gonna please everybody so just try to please yourself.

by Lackawanna484

It's not unusual for managements in troubled companies to focus on bs stuff like socks. It makes them feel like they're in power, instead of reacting to stuff outside their control.

One of the real failings at NJT, perhaps the biggest failing, is the absence of a solid bond between labor and commuters. That's a classic "divide and conquer" technique by management, in this case NJT and the state.

Back in the 1970s, trains on the NJCL were literally falling off the tracks. Delays of hours were common. A few labor leaders (Dan Bogan among them) met with a few vocal commuters, several town council people from various towns, a number of local real estate agents, etc. Within months, commuters were besieging local town councils, Monmouth freeholders, etc for improvements. Everybody knew that getting state money would improve the railroad and boost housing prices.

Same model worked, to a lesser extent, with the Lackawanna commuters. In both cases, things got a lot better, and managment's feet were held to the fire.

Labor has a strong interest in preserving good, safe well paying jobs. Commuters have an interest in well maintained, safe trains. Getting the two groups talking and forging that common bond is critical to moving forward...

by Jtgshu

TR-00 wrote:I simply told them I was piano player in a whorehouse...much less embarassing.
You mean your not????????? I thought you moonlighted at "the brothel farmhouse on the curve" on the NEC..... now Im gonna have to cancel my reservation!!!

by TR-00

Brothel? That's not a brothel...that's the place I'm gonna buy when I retire. I'll have a 20 foot high billboard in the front yard, facing the corridor that says, "I'm retired, and you're not!" And I intend to moon every train, NJT and Amtrak alike until my cheeks get chapped.

by nick11a

TR-00 wrote:Brothel? That's not a brothel...that's the place I'm gonna buy when I retire. I'll have a 20 foot high billboard in the front yard, facing the corridor that says, "I'm retired, and you're not!" And I intend to moon every train, NJT and Amtrak alike until my cheeks get chapped.
Oh boy. Can't wait for that. Incidentally, when you first mentioned brothel on the NEC, I thought you were referring to Rutgers. :wink:

by thebigc

TR-00 wrote:Brothel? That's not a brothel...that's the place I'm gonna buy when I retire. I'll have a 20 foot high billboard in the front yard, facing the corridor that says, "I'm retired, and you're not!" And I intend to moon every train, NJT and Amtrak alike until my cheeks get chapped.

And from what I've heard, you'll be hard to miss!!! :P

by Jtgshu

thebigc wrote:

And from what I've heard, you'll be hard to miss!!! :P
HAHAHAHAHA

Sorry.........that just gave me a much needed chuckle.... :D