Railroad Forums 

• Fantastical Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1388343  by Greg Moore

If the moderators may permit a bit of fun... I propose the most fantastical Amtrak idea you can come up with thread.

No, this isn't "restore my favorite route".
This isn't "Amtrak should buy this version of HS Train set".

No, those are simple.

This is the fantastical. The stuff that could and would never happen, even with an unlimited budget.

For example: All trucks are replaced with Marty Mcfly Hoverboard Trucks for the smoothest suspension known to mankind (well only up to 88mph).

Or car float to Hawaii.
Or cafe attendants who will still find a way to heat the meatballs in the microwave and the buns in the convection oven. (ok, maybe that one isn't so fantastical :-)

Points for originality.
You automatically lose all points for mentioning a certain trainset that starts with T and ends with R. That's trouble, right here in River City.
 #1388346  by NaugyRR

Amtrak expands Auto Train service into Cuba by flying loaded autoracks into Havana from Sanford using Antonov cargo planes. This new service will be called the Auto Train Plane. :P
 #1388350  by Jeff Smith

Amtrak Empire buys the Maybrook/Beacon line from MNRR and begins service to White Plains and returns to GCT. /endfoam

Inland Route to bypass NEC is built over the old Putnam Division ROW! /endfoam
 #1388351  by Station Aficionado

Great topic. I propose that Amtrak build the Trans-Atlantic Rail Bridge/Tunnel. Norfolk to London, with a service stop in Bermuda (where there were trains once upon a time). Would put the Oresund to shame.
 #1388379  by east point

Bermuda ? Sorry it is off the great circle. Believe it or not but Bermuda is same latitude as the Atlanta metro area.
 #1388388  by Greg Moore

That's ok, this is Amtrak we're talking about. They'll settle for the not so great circle.
 #1388396  by BostonUrbEx

An Amtrak network with a grid denser than our interstate highway network. :P

Also, a gently arcing, but fairly direct and non-circuitous, service from Quebec to Mexico City and points in between. Averaging 100+ MPH, too, of course. :wink:
 #1388439  by gokeefe

This is an interesting experiment ....

Amtrak buys Madison Square Garden, builds a new Penn Station on site with a 100 floor office and condo tower above it.

BOOM!
 #1388445  by jp1822

Miami to Alaska

Points of interest:

- Appalachian Mountains
- Colorado Rockies
- Sierra Nevada Mountains
- Pacific Northwest
- North Vancouver and old BC route diverging to interior Canada and to the Alaska Railroad

Equipment Highlights:

- Short Domes - lower level with bedrooms
- Panorama Cars - lounges
- Panorama Cars - diners
- CRC bi-level type cars - lounge seating and sleepers
 #1388456  by amtrakhogger

Amtrak buys the old PRR across Ohio and Indiana to restore the Broadway and electrifies it with old style PRR "H" type cat poles.
 #1388458  by CComMack

Anything requiring a crossing of open water can't be *that* creative, IMO. But I think I can play this game with proposals that look vaguely plausible on endpoints, but are outrageously impractical on a second reading.

Boston-Portland-Moncton-Halifax

Buffalo-Williamsport-Philadelphia

Seattle/Portland-Spokane-Glacier-Great Falls-Billings-Casper-Cheyenne-Denver

Phoenix-Kingman-Las Vegas-Tonopah-South Lake Tahoe-Sacramento

Atlanta-Knoxville-Charleston-Morgantown-Pittsburgh