• F40PH-3C overhaul program

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Bramdeisroberts

All you need to know about Tier III is that EMD was able to hit the targets with the 710 and MPI could hit them with their Polish-built 645s.

If a 1960s-era two-stroke ANYTHING can hit your emissions targets, then that tells you everything about how "strict" they actually are.
  by trains18

Never mind about 1066. Whatever issue it had was fixed at BET supposedly. Anyone with deeper information please share it. Anyone know what F40 will be next to return from MPI?
  by GP40MC1118

The 1050 has been released from MPI and was in Nampa, Idaho for the UP to pick up as of March 25th.

D
  by GP40MC1118

The 1050 is finally moving east on the UP:

DEPARTED LOAD ADELAIDE ID 04/02 1158 UP
  by trains18

WorldwideRailfan (Youtube) wrote:MBTX 1050 was interchanged from UP to CSX in Chicago earlier today.
Any pictures?
  by WorldwideRailfan (Youtube)

No I don’t have any photos of it but a friend of mine says it was/still is being interchanged to CSX. It should pass the Deshler Railcam in the next few days if it hasn’t already passed but as of now, it’s still in Chicago.
  by GP40MC1118

Still in Clearing/BRC Chicago. Was scheduled to go out on CSX Q388-12 tonight
  by GP40MC1118

The 1050 was on Q436 last night, but it was rumored that the freight was outlawing in Charlton. Assuming there
was a recrew since then, it should be in Framingham or arriving there shortly.

D
  by RenegadeMonster

Saw the 1054 this morning for the first time since it came back. The new paint job is looking pretty sharp.
  by Mbtagp40mc

I’m curious.. will these rebuilds be able to handle the larger 8 or 9 car sets that the HSP46s can?
  by trains18

Mbtagp40mc wrote:I’m curious.. will these rebuilds be able to handle the larger 8 or 9 car sets that the HSP46s can?
I'm not 100% sure but I think the F40PH-3C specifications will be upgraded to the same specs as the HSP's. Someone with more detailed info please fill me in because I can't find the information anywhere. Cheers to F40's :-D
  by MBTA3247

Mbtagp40mc wrote:I’m curious.. will these rebuilds be able to handle the larger 8 or 9 car sets that the HSP46s can?
No. That would require a new, more powerful prime mover.