• Extra/Unnecessary Subway Booths

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MAG

I have not seen this discussed in the AFC Progress or Raising Fares threads so I thought I would bring this up in a new thread.

I have only used a couple of the updated AFC stations (Orient Heights & Haymarket). At both of these stations, a new customer service booth has been set up with the AFC equipment. Why do these stations need new booths when they already had operating booths? If these new booths have new equipment/software, could that not have just been installed in the old booths? Orient Heights now has 2 old booths sitting unused.

At Symphony, the T started a renovation project about 6 months ago. As part of that, they installed a 2nd booth directly beside the old booth in the station. The old booth was not removed, but was instead covered with plywood to make a fake wall in one corner of the station. Of course, Symphony is an unmanned station so neither the old or new booths have been used recently. Two weekends ago, the T (as part of the AFC work) ripped out the new booth and the new gates are going in that area. This new booth was NEVER used, and now one wall of the old booth can again be seen. What was the point of putting in this booth for just a few months? The T even went through the effort of painting it to match the new plywood wall.

Is it just me, or does this seem like a huge waste of money? I am actually quite surprised that no one else on here has brought this up before. If they have, and I missed it, then I apologize.

The T wants to raise fares to improve service and pay off their debts, yet they are wasting all of this money on additional booths where they already exist, and then installing & removing a never-used booth after 5 months. In general, I like the T and the efforts they are trying to make to improve service (remodeled stations, station announcements & LED signs, etc.), but this booth thing makes no sense. Maybe they could reduce their proposed fare increase some if they would stop installing things where they are not needed!

by CJ

For the fact that a new booth was installed, only to be removed etc, it may have been part of the contract, and changing the contract to not install a booth may have cost more (change of contract penalty?) than it would to install the booth, and then rip it down

Just an idea!

by sabourinj

Well what's also interesting is that they originally took the token collectors out of the booth. Then they got spit on and harassed on the blue line (boston globe article in months past) So apparently in responce to that they added the new white smaller booths, which I think can be looked so they are inside them. This is where the blue line CSA's tend to sleep most.

Good call on the thread, I thought about it but never posted it!

JS