Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by KatiRose

Hi all. I'm new here. I browsed the site some and saw the topic of dogs on the metro discussed a lot, but my question wasn't answered. I have a ~120lb Alaskan malamute that I'd like to take to NYC sometime when the weather gets a bit warmer (I don't want to be stuck outside in the cold, haha). We drove to NYC once but parking was awful. I used a parking garage, which was expensive and a pain to get to, and to leave. I just don't want to do that again. I was wondering if we could use the metro to get to NYC. I see a lot people siting a 60-70lb weight limit (not sure if this is a written or unwritten rule), and was wondering if this is an actual, enforced, rule. Others who have asked about dogs on the metro either have small dogs that can be in carriers, or have large dogs that fall into that weight range. My dog is about 120lbs, and his wolf-life appearance tends to worry people some with his large size. Does anyone know if a dog that large could use the metro? If we can go, it'd be very early in the morning, to avoid large crowds, and likely on a sunday so it's an off-peak day. If we can't get on, we'll just stay in New Haven and explore the city. I'm extra worried about getting back. It'd be bad if they let us on to go, but we're not allowed on to come back. I know no one in the city and don't want to be stuck there, haha. Does anyone know if a *very* large dog, around 120lbs, would be allowed on the metro? Has anyone with a large dog like this ever been on the metro before? When did you go and did you do anything to prepare your dog for the ride? He's never been on a train before.

Also, if we can go, can I get a ticket for New Haven to Grand Central, but get off at another stop to let my dog relieve himself and get back on (possibly on the next train)?

If this trip can't be done, that's fine, but I'd like to do it if it can be done. Any information and advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you :-)
  by Terminal Proceed

MN rules indicate that ANY domestic pet is allowed on the train - there is no weight/size restriction. Once you purchase your ticket - it is good for ONE SINGLE CONTINUOUS journey to your destination. Which means if you de-train - your ride is terminated. THAT rule IS enforced. Once you leave the train - your done with your ride regardless of whether or not you went to your destination. So if Fido can't hold his kibble or water then I suggest you drive.

However I will add that you should call MNRR customer service center and present them with your questions and take direction from the official folks who have authority to speak on behalf of the company. I think you will find they will concur with what i said - but i can not speak on behalf of the company. Customer Service is the ONLY ones that can OFFICIALLY answer your question.
  by RearOfSignal

What's "the metro"?

Anyway, I've had people bring Great Danes on the train, but size isn't so much a problem as behavior.
  by Trainer

You're allowed to get on and off the train, but you'd have to buy a new ticket once you get back on. Depending how far you're riding, you could even make it a planned pit stop - buy 2 tickets in the first place, one from New Haven to Stamford, and then one from Stamford to Grand Central. Just pick a stop that has frequent service.

MNCR is pretty dog-friendly, but many of the places in the city, not so much. Don't plan on taking the beast to a nice lunch, a museum, or to see the Lion King.
  by Rbts Stn

Not to take away business from the Railroad, but there is lots of free parking in Manhattan, if you know where to look for it. Hint: Below the 20's or over the 60's, or around 11th Avenue and other places that are lower density. Also plenty of places to park in a lot or a garage for well under $20.
  by amm in ny

RearOfSignal wrote:What's "the metro"?
I would guess she means "Subway", in NYC-speak. Unless she's assuming that "Metro North" is called that because "metro" is what we call rail transit in these parts, and thus "metro" is a generic NYC-area term for trains.

OP is apparently not from the NYC area.

OP may also need to be made aware that trains in the NYC area are run by 5 different agencies -- Metro-North, Long Island Railroad, NYC Subway, New Jersey Transit (rail), and AMTRAK -- each of which has its own rules and policies.
Last edited by amm in ny on Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BobLI

If "metro" means the subway dont even think about taking a dog on it. Some people sneak a small dog on it but you cant hide your dog!
  by KatiRose

Thanks for the tips, especially about 11th ave parking (not sure what low 20s and above 60s means). I love traveling and road trips, but I hate driving, haha. So driving into the city and finding parking would be a last option, but I like that it's more of an option now. And thank you for suggesting just planning a stop. Ah, I have a lot of planning to do, haha! Oh, and thank you for confirming for me that my dog's size won't bar us from using the metro!
  by KatiRose

amm in ny wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:What's "the metro"?
I would guess she means "Subway", in NYC-speak. Unless she's assuming that "Metro North" is called that because "metro" is what we call rail transit in these parts, and thus "metro" is a generic NYC-area term for trains.

OP is apparently not from the NYC area.

OP may also need to be made aware that trains in the NYC area are run by 5 different agencies -- Metro-North, Long Island Railroad, NYC Subway, New Jersey Transit (rail), and AMTRAK -- each of which has its own rules and policies.
"If "metro" means the subway dont even think about taking a dog on it. Some people sneak a small dog on it but you cant hide your dog!"

Haha, no, I don't refer to the subway as the "metro". I mean Metro-North. I've heard other people call it that, so yeah. And I know dogs are not allowed on subways. I don't even like using the subway, haha.
  by Tadman

The MNCR pet policy always baffles me. I've never heard of any other railroad allowing random pets aboard.
  by ExCon90

Above and below, and up and down, are New Yorkese for North and South. The 20s and 60s are streets numbered in those ranges, so what is meant here is south of 20th St. and from 60th north.
  by RearOfSignal

Tadman wrote:The MNCR pet policy always baffles me. I've never heard of any other railroad allowing random pets aboard.
Domestic pets and service animals only. No tigers, lions or Saquatches!
  by Steamboat Willie

The MNCR pet policy always baffles me. I've never heard of any other railroad allowing random pets aboard.
You ought to ride Friday rush hour trains to Wassaic, or train 9960 during the summer months to witness the circus act of animals on the train. ROS, those Saquatches you speak of lurk in the cornfields up near Dover Plains :)
  by runningwithscalpels

RearOfSignal wrote:
Tadman wrote:The MNCR pet policy always baffles me. I've never heard of any other railroad allowing random pets aboard.
Domestic pets and service animals only. No tigers, lions or Saquatches!
But...what about a wallaby? ;)
  by TCurtin

Not being acquainted with your dog I can't comment authoritatively on the matter; but it seems to me that since New Haven-GCT isn't that long a ride, he/she should have no difficulty making it without a pit stop --- just withhold water for a while before the trip. We used to drive from Danbury to Cape Cod nonstop with our lab --- 3 1/2 hours! However, should such become necessary you could conceivably travel with a very long leash (which I think is commonly available) so the dog can get off and you can remain on board --- thereby complying with the fare policy cited here..