• Exit fare at Oak Grove & Malden Ctr stations

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by rhodiecub2

Was it true that Oak Grove and Malden Ctr station had an exit fare when it 1st opened in the late 70s?

by Reddy Rocker

Yes, it was true. At least my father said it was. It would be preferable if someone else would prove it to both of us.

by rhodiecub2

Reddy Rocker wrote:Yes, it was true. At least my father said it was. It would be preferable if someone else would prove it to both of us.
I think also Oak Grove and Malden Ctr was shut down on Sundays for a few months due to a budget crisis in 1981 and also Reagon coming into office.

by Ron Newman

What did Reagan have against the city of Malden?

by Robert Paniagua

I think also Oak Grove and Malden Ctr was shut down on Sundays for a few months due to a budget crisis in 1981 and also Reagon coming into office.

I remember that, trains would only go to Wellington. However, down on the SSQBE Red Line, all Quincy/Braintree Stations had a mandatory charge for exit as well, until the late 80s when they ekliminated that exit charge at North Quincy, Wollaston and Quincy Center. But at Braintree and Quincy Adams, that charge is still in effect, but it's soon subject to elimination due to the new AFC system coming soon.

As for service cutback, none ever occurred on the Red Line that I know of due to budget cuts.

by jwhite07

Yes, it was true. At least my father said it was. It would be preferable if someone else would prove it to both of us.
I've seen pictures of signage in Malden Station that suggest that yes, there was once an exit fare (or at least one was originally planned). Can't recall where I saw those pictures.

by rhodiecub2

Robert Paniagua wrote:But at Braintree and Quincy Adams, that charge is still in effect, but it's soon subject to elimination due to the new AFC system com.
That's cool, so then what is this AFC system com

by Robert Paniagua

That's cool, so then what is this AFC system com

It's the Charlie Card system, should be coming in February for BRN-Braintree (yes!!! I use that station 98% of the time :-D) and Quincy Adams should have their AFC up and going by late March-early April.

Braintree's mezzanine is already having their AFC machine3s and turnstyles being installed right now, while Quincy Adams still has the old token turnstyles still intact, those won't be taken away until next month or something.

by fm535

Robert, if you look carefully at the new Braintree turnstyles, the ones to the right as you exit have card readers on the platform side. I think you will still have to pay an exit fare with your stored value CC.

by Robert Paniagua

Robert, if you look carefully at the new Braintree turnstyles, the ones to the right as you exit have card readers on the platform side. I think you will still have to pay an exit fare with your stored value CC.

Oh ok, I'll take a look at those when I go there tonight going home. Although the process for me will be easier since I just have to wave the card when the new AFC is up and running just like I do coming into work.

by octr202

fm535 wrote:Robert, if you look carefully at the new Braintree turnstyles, the ones to the right as you exit have card readers on the platform side. I think you will still have to pay an exit fare with your stored value CC.
Removing the exit fare would constitute changing the fare structure, so, no, it can't happen yet. There is a process underway to study how the structure can be changed under AFC, but any proposals for change would have to go through the standard process (legislative action, hearings, etc.).

by RailBus63

Back to the exit fare question - I checked through my old issues of ROLLSIGN magazine and discovered that the exit fares were eliminated at Oak Grove, Malden Center, North Quincy, Wollaston and Quincy Center with the subway fare increase of June 30, 1980. The Braintree exit fare remained in place, of course.

Here are the 'before' and 'after' fares:

Fare structure prior to 6/30/80 :
Braintree - 75 cents to enter, 50 cents to exit
Oak Grove, Malden Center, North Quincy, Wollaston and Quincy Center - 50 cents to enter, 25 cents to exit
All other rapid transit and Green Line from Kenmore/Symphony to Lechmere - 25 cents to enter, no exit fare

Fare increase effective 6/30/80 :
Braintree - $1 to enter, 50 cents to exit
North Quincy, Wollaston and Quincy Center - $1 to enter, no exit fare
All other rapid transit and Green Line from Kenmore/Symphony to Lechmere - 50 cents to enter, no exit fare

Hope this answers the original question.

Jim