• Excellent new report on MBTA and land use

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Pete

I know this came up in at one of the threads on here, so I thought I'd post this new Urban Land Institute report calling for 1. the MBTA (and other interested parties) to get more involved in promoting development that fills its trains and buses with riders, and 2. relieving the debt burden that presently forces the T to operate under a fairly narrow vision of simply keeping the system running from day to day. There's much more to it than that, but I think the report is one of the best articulations of the priorities needed if the MBTA is to succeed and survive as an effective transit system in the region.

Links to the report, presentation slides, and a brief summary are at: http://www.livablestreets.info/node/435

One interesting item mentioned in there is that in San Francisco, a preliminary requirement for new transit services is that at least 3,300 units of housing be existing or in development in a given station's catchment area. I wonder how many of the stations currently proposed in this region would stand up to that test.