Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Montrealrail

They expect to use them one VIA Abittibi-Joncquiere and probably on Halifax-Gaspé too

They will have 4 of them..
those two are presently at Montreal VIA MMC and their renumbered 18521 and 18522

Last edited by Montrealrail on Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by electricron

Those look more like F59PH to me, not F59PHI.

TRE loves running ex-Go F59PH locomotives, I see no reason why VIA wouldn't like them too.
TRE F50PH (ex-Go)

TRE F59PHI (purchased new)

TRE loves the EMD F59PH locomotives so much they recently bought an additional (3) from Go (#562,563,564) to go with the (4) they purchased from Go (#565,566,567,568) a decade ago (all model IV)

Go has F59PH locomotives for sale because they recently purchased (47) MPI MP40PH-3C locomotives to run longer trains on several routes, making some of their F59PH locomotives redundant. Frankly, I surprised VIA hasn't bought more ex-Go locomotives..

Last edited by electricron on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by Montrealrail

You'r right!,it's my mistake,I corrected it. :wink:

Apparently,VIA rented them for a certain time.In all, there's four of them that will be used by VIA Rail..
  by jp1822

Montrealrail wrote:You'r right!,it's my mistake,I corrected it. :wink:

Apparently,VIA rented them for a certain time.In all, there's four of them that will be used by VIA Rail..
What's the main reason for why VIA Rail is short on motive power - is it due to the F40 rebuild program?
  by Montrealrail

jp1822 wrote:
Montrealrail wrote:You'r right!,it's my mistake,I corrected it. :wink:

What's the main reason for why VIA Rail is short on motive power - is it due to the F40 rebuild program?

I think it's the reason why they rented the ex GO-Transit,cause they will use the on some routes for replacing the missing roling stock..
Another reason is that the new rebuilted have to be by 2 at the same,cause their not compatible with the old F40,may be the HEP or some thing like that,to be able to get enough engine,VIA rented 4 ex GO-Transit to compensing the shortage of rolling stock,actually,there's few F40 on rebuilt processing,I eared about the 6436 and 6406,are on the rebuilt processing..

I just keep and eye on the 601/603 and on the 600/602,that will probably be leaded by the ex-GO-Transit soon..
  by buddah

electricron wrote: Frankly, I surprised VIA hasn't bought more ex-Go locomotives..
A fellow railroader here once posted...... "BY all standards what GO transit does to there locomotives most railroads would call abuse!" and I can't tell a lie form a stand point GO works there locomotives to the bones, its no wonder not many other passenger rail agencies want to pick them up. Add in there age and you have locomotives that usually would be in a dead line for US operators as the going motto is "buy new" . I'd guess VIA picked up a few because it was the cheapest option.
  by Tadman

Surprising given that GO is a commuter operation where the power sits half the day waiting for rush hour, in comparison to Amtrak and Via where the power is always moving. Is this an issue of not doing maintenance?
  by Tom6921

I know that Montreal's AMT has bought some ex GO Transit F59PH's. They have already repainted one unit (#526) into the AMT livery. The unit is painted the same as AMT's ex Amtrak F40s.
  by buddah

Yes Tadman, GO's practice is deferred maintenance almost similar to Amtrak's, VIA I believe is still under Preventative maintenance, however GO is on top of any major breakdowns and wont let there locomotive sit forever without repair like Amtrak. The reason the F59ph haven't fallen apart is because they were built with quality in mind, that's one main reason operators like them they have A great life span. GO engineers run them full throttle when ever possible, on start up they push them to the limit to get up to track speed and stops them hard (note: most consists are 1 locomotive and 10 bi-level cars). In comparison METRA babies there F40's considering what GO does to there F59PH' s. I can't think of another rail agency that uses 1 F59 to push/pull 10 bi-level cars. METRA has Midday dinkys, GO does NOT break up there consist in 1/2 like Metra for midday runs, GO runs full consists at all times, inc. midday, late night, holidays, and weekends! Those few F59s might get some pampered treatment now that there in the hands of VIA rail.
  by timberley

Here's another neat video on YouTube, of train 601 being split into the Senneterre and Jonquiere trains at Hervey Junction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y05aTHNcg6E

There are two ex-GO units on the lead, that split and each take one of the other partial trains. I must say, the consists are particularly interesting...an ex-GO F59PH with 1 baggage car and 1 coach, or 2 coaches :P
  by dmclement

I've heard that apart from 521 & 522 that VIA have 524 & 529, albeit all with "18" prefixed. However, I have also heard that 529 went to North Carolina DoT along with 534.

Can anyone clarify where 529 is, and what has replaced it at either NCDoT or VIA?
  by kmillard

I gotta believe the F59PH's are around only until the rebuilt F40's are on the property. Regardless of the agency, commuter service is very demanding on locomotives and I have to believe the ex-GO units will be in need of substantial rebuild to appreciably prolong their service life at this point.
  by dmclement

electricron wrote:TRE loves the EMD F59PH locomotives so much they recently bought an additional (3) from Go (#562,563,564) to go with the (4) they purchased from Go (#565,566,567,568) a decade ago (all model IV)
TRE have actually bought GO #525, #527 & #528, which they'll be renumbering to #120, #121 & #122, whilst re-numbering their pre-existing ex-GO F59PH's #123-#126
  by marquisofmississauga

kmillard wrote:I gotta believe the F59PH's are around only until the rebuilt F40's are on the property. Regardless of the agency, commuter service is very demanding on locomotives and I have to believe the ex-GO units will be in need of substantial rebuild to appreciably prolong their service life at this point.
"Government isn't the solution to our problems, government IS the problem."

Ronald Reagan

kmillard

These little quotations made by railfans are often hilarious. Perhaps the above member has forgotten that VIA Rail is a Crown corporation, meaning it is owned by the federal government and that all commuter rail operations are provincial agencies. Without government there would be almost no passenger train service in Canada and most likely anywhere on the planet.