• EWR Monorail

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by Septa Fan

Because of the location of the line in question, I am posting this query on this forum.

The EWR monorail to the Newark Airport station superficially resembles the ORLYVAL (Véhicule Automatique Léger) employed in the Paris metropolitan area to connect Orly Airport with the RER ligne B. Are they the same or is there another, similar mode of light transport vehicle?

Thank you in advance.

SEPTA FAN

by ryanov

Not sure this is really on topic (I guess the thread can be moved), however, the Newark Monorail is made by the same people that made the Tomorrowland Monorail in Disneyworld if I am not mistaken. I know, sort of an odd group to go to for a major transit monorail (and judging from the early performance of this system, not such a great choice -- it is still rather slow and low-capacity).

Having said that, I attempted a Google search and all I could find is that the Disney cars (latest ones) were built by Bombardier, and no such confirmation of the EWR cars.

by ApproachMedium

Bombardier makes the Walt Disney World (Florida) monorails that you see going from park to park and some of the hotels. The Tomorrowland Transit Authority (formerly WEDway PeopleMover) is not a monorail; it was built by "WED Enterprises". If you're thinking Tomorrowland monorail, that's Disneyland in California. Disneyland's monorails have no association to Bombardier.

by Septa Fan

Bombardier is a very logical choice. The company does have licenses to manufacture a great deal of French rail technology in North America, e.g. the Acela Express which features TGV-based technology.

Good Choice .
Thank you
Septa Fan

by ryanov

I'm frankly not sure it was them, however. There was a discussion about this long ago, but... I don't even know if it was this iteration of the forum.
  by Jishnu

Septa Fan wrote:Because of the location of the line in question, I am posting this query on this forum.

The EWR monorail to the Newark Airport station superficially resembles the ORLYVAL (Véhicule Automatique Léger) employed in the Paris metropolitan area to connect Orly Airport with the RER ligne B. Are they the same or is there another, similar mode of light transport vehicle?

Thank you in advance.

SEPTA FAN
Orlyval is a regular two track rubber tire vehicle, sort of like the Orlando Airport people mover. It is not at all like the EWR monorail. For example see this picture.

EWR Monorail is a straddle monorail system. It is manufactured and currently maintained by Bombardier.

by E-44

Wasn't it Adtranz that built the EWR system? At the time, I think they were jointly owned by ABB and Daimler/Benz and then it was sold to and absorbed by Bombardier.

by Septa Fan

Very Helpful responses
Thank you
SEPTA FAN

by drewh

Bombardier currently maintains the system. When things have gone wrong (often) you will see Bombardier people there. I also think there is a placard in the cars.

No correlation to OrlyVal whatsoever - especially in speed. Personally, I think EWR monorail is a disgrace amongst any airport system. IMO, the EWR rail station should not have been built and instead a similar system to JFK Airtrain built to downtown NWK.

by wantsrail

The Newark Airport people mover is NOT a monorail. It is a narrow-width BUSWAY.

They use rubber tires rolling along the edge of steel plates that are about six or eight feet wide. The edge of the steel plates have an anti-slip treatment applied.

There is NO weight bearing rail. The PA had a design competition so they could be sure to get the worst possible choice.

They did not want anything that would work well. They want to get the most people to park their cars or rent them at the airports.

by Richard Rabinowitz

wantsrail wrote:The Newark Airport people mover is NOT a monorail. It is a narrow width BUSWAY.
Eh, ahh dunno. I've seen the Newark Airtrain. Looks an awful lot like a monorail to me.

by wantsrail

Richard;

Have you ridden in one?

Look out the front window.

Do you see any rail?

I can't because there is not any.

By definition a monorail carries the weight of a vehicle on one rail.

A flat wide steel plate is not a rail.

I rode those elevated thingys both in Sydney anf Wupperthal.

In Sydney the vehicle rides on top of a rail.

In Germany it hangs from a rail.

Those ARE monorails.

Newark may look like a monorail because it is up in the air. But would you call the Elevated lines in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx monorails if you only saw them looking up from Ground level.

by Irish Chieftain

Look out the front window.

Do you see any rail?
Frankly, yes I do. And I've been on the thing several times.
By definition a monorail carries the weight of a vehicle on one rail
What is supporting the weight of the EWR monorail aside from the rail? Absolutely nothing else. Doesn't matter where the wheels are on the rail—they're on there.

by arrow

Of course the track supports the weight of the train, but if you really want to be technical about it, since the train is not really riding on one rail, it's not a "monorail".

The original airport planners left a ROW for the monorail system and built the footings for it. They also built small stations in each of the three terminals and left room for the monorail to pass through the building. Smart planning for the future. Given the fact that the current designers had to work with all of these constraints I'd say it turned out pretty well.

In JFK, on the other hand, there was nothing existing so they had an opportunity to create whatever they thought would work best.

by Wdobner

E-44 wrote:Wasn't it Adtranz that built the EWR system? At the time, I think they were jointly owned by ABB and Daimler/Benz and then it was sold to and absorbed by Bombardier.
That's correct. The original contract went to VonRoll, a Swiss monorail manufacturer which has been making monorails of the type seen at EWR for other intramural systems(theme park, airport peoplemover, and such) for quite a while. In 1994 while construction was still under way VonRoll sold it's monorail designs to ADTranz, which changed the switch design from traversers to radial switches before the line opened as a peoplemover between the terminals in 1995. I believe then in 2001 when Bombardier bought up ADTranz and the EWR Rail Station expansion program was underway BBD changed the signalling system to their own design. The result is that the EWR Airtrain monorail has become a pretty graphic example what happens when too many interests are involved. VonRoll monorails were never noted for their swiftness or ability to handle large crowds, but it's my experience that the EWR Monorail is slower and even more poorly adapted to the potential crowding situations than any other similar design.
I rode those elevated thingys both in Sydney anf Wupperthal.

In Sydney the vehicle rides on top of a rail.
Funny you should mention the Sydney Metro Monorail, because it's the exact same design as the EWR Airtrain monorail, so if it's a monorail then the EWR Airtrain must be as well, right? Both systems use VonRoll Mark III trains with six powered bogies and two idler bogies on standard VonRoll guideway. The only difference is that the EWR system is automated, has the ADTranz radial switches, and now the BBD signalling system. I believe the Sydney Monorail may have been the last true VonRoll monorail completed before the company sold its monorail division to ADTranz. Both the Europa Park monorail in Germany and the Alton Towers monorail in England opened after the Sydney Monorail, but both were used Mark II systems transplanted from Spain and Canada, but the Broadbeach, Australia and Singapore Birdpark monorails may both be newer and were 100% Von Roll designs.
Of course the track supports the weight of the train, but if you really want to be technical about it, since the train is not really riding on one rail, it's not a "monorail".
That's perfectly true, although there's only one rail on which the many guide wheels sit, so monorail is still fairly accurate. If one wanted to be really pedantic it could be argued that only the Wuppertal Schwebebahn and Dresden Schwebebahn were true monorails and everything else just a poor imitator. However, the definition of monorail only refers to the number of rails a system has, not the number of wheels that sit on those rails, and in the case of Alweg, Intamin, Severn-Lamb, Safege, and Von Roll monorails there's always just one rail. In any event I'm rather glad the EWR monorail cars don't swing freely as the Schwebebahns do. That can be an extremely disconcerting sensation to be in a pendelum while stopped in a station, and it's even more fun to try to board or allight from that pendelum.

I've always kinda wished that the EWR monorail had been built as a larger, faster Alweg monorail. It's possible that the faster Alweg design would have allowed the line to simply be extended up to Newark Penn, rather than force the construction of the EWR Air-Rail station. This would of course be slightly more inconvenient for passengers coming from the south, but would give an easy transfer to and from Lower Manhattan via PATH.