• Everett Yard?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by efin98

Ok this is probably going to be a tough question to get answered but here it goes. I was looking at some old togographical maps of the Chelsea/Everett/Malden/Somerville area and noticed off of the Eastern Division Main Line(current Newburyport/Rockport MBTA Line line after the junction with the Saugus Branch there was a large yard area(roughly the site of the current LNG facility and power station). Was this an early intermodal yard(it's right on the Mystic and Island End Rivers) or was it a coach yard or just a simple freight yard? It was quite large, but far enough away from the main B&M Yards to pique my interest.
Also, was it built by the Eastern Railroad or was it built by the B&M after the acquisition/merger?

by b&m 1566

try asking that question to the B&M historical society, they maybe able too help you in answering that question or they may tell you excatly what it was. If that doesn't work you can always find out what city or town its in and email the city office that question. they should be able to tell you what it was.

when u find out please post it, I 2 would like 2 know

by NYC27

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the the Eastern Gas & Fuel's coke works. It was served by the B&A's Grand Junction Branch as well as the parallel B&M.

by ceo

Are you talking about the yard on this map, immediately south of the Revere Beach Parkway? (Warning: large image)

I don't know what it is, but the tracks look too close together for it to be a transload facility. That lcoation is currently the Boston produce market, and still has several spurs into it.

by efin98

CEO the poster before you answered my question but the map is a good help as well since I forgot to add it in the first post.

by Ron Newman

A road now runs through the middle of that former yard, connecting Beacham Street in Everett to Williams Street in Chelsea. It's all food warehouses and trucking terminals now.

by efin98

Ron Newman wrote:A road now runs through the middle of that former yard, connecting Beacham Street in Everett to Williams Street in Chelsea. It's all food warehouses and trucking terminals now.
That would be Beacham Street in Chelsea as well. It doesn't lose it's name in Chelsea, keeps it all the way to the end. Didn't know the street and the surrounding land was former trackage though(hard to even imagine it at all).

by SnoozerZ49

Efin:

I thought everything on the east side of the B&M main was B&A all the way to where the lines split, just east of the current Chelsea Station platform? Did you find out otherwise?

Currently, what is considered the old B&M Chelsea Yard on employee timetables is the unused junk filled yard tracks at Broadway. I believe the Dennis Burke Oil Company is on part of the site although it is still in the timetable.

For your interest the old switch to the B&M's East Boston Branch (just west of Wonderland Interlocking) has been placed out of service by Bulletin Order. I don't know what the last traffic was on that branch but I was thinking it may have been the tank cars of oil destined for the Holyoke Power Plant via the old night time freight SE-5 (Salem to East Deerfield)

by efin98

SnoozerZ49 wrote:Efin:

I thought everything on the east side of the B&M main was B&A all the way to where the lines split, just east of the current Chelsea Station platform? Did you find out otherwise?
I think it is too, there was signage for five tracks between the station and the Second Street crossing, so there must have been seperate rights of way for the B&A and B&M with a siding for one or both companies along the way(being in the former industrial heart of the city). You are right about there being a seperation just beyond the station, the outbound platform of the station is on one of the former railbeds and you can clearly see where the branch off was at.
Currently, what is considered the old B&M Chelsea Yard on employee timetables is the unused junk filled yard tracks at Broadway. I believe the Dennis Burke Oil Company is on part of the site although it is still in the timetable.
Broadway in Everett(Rt. 99) or Broadway in Chelsea(passes over the right of way beyond Chelsea Station)? I have seen a filled in track at the station ending at the Broadway overpass in Chelsea but I thought that was part of the former B&A.
For your interest the old switch to the B&M's East Boston Branch (just west of Wonderland Interlocking) has been placed out of service by Bulletin Order. I don't know what the last traffic was on that branch but I was thinking it may have been the tank cars of oil destined for the Holyoke Power Plant via the old night time freight SE-5 (Salem to East Deerfield)

I was told the last deliveries on that line were in 1980 to the MBTA via some sort of connection to the right of way of the Blue Line(they do pass each other near Wood Island)?
  by BM6569

What is the yard on the lower left hand corner of that map? Also, do you have any other maps that go more south into Boston showing the B&M trackage. Very interesting.

by efin98

that yard looks like the current Boston Engine Terminal yard complex just before North Station. On the lower right it looks like the Boston and Albany East Boston yard(don't know it's real name though)

by Xplorer2000

efin98 wrote:
SnoozerZ49 wrote:Efin:

I think it is too, there was signage for five tracks between the station and the Second Street crossing, so there must have been seperate rights of way for the B&A and B&M with a siding for one or both companies along the way(being in the former industrial heart of the city). You are right about there being a seperation just beyond the station, the outbound platform of the station is on one of the former railbeds and you can clearly see where the branch off was at.
Broadway in Everett(Rt. 99) or Broadway in Chelsea(passes over the right of way beyond Chelsea Station)? I have seen a filled in track at the station ending at the Broadway overpass in Chelsea but I thought that was part of the former B&A.

I was told the last deliveries on that line were in 1980 to the MBTA via some sort of connection to the right of way of the Blue Line(they do pass each other near Wood Island)?
The back end of the branch connects to the B&A Grand junction down by the old former BelleSteel building in Eastie.They laid a panel track connection back in the 80's to deliver the Bluebelles. I can't tell you the last time I saw a tank car on that branch, but it had to be the early 90's.... ironically enough though, the Branch roundhouse still stands, used by a landscaping firm. Took me forever to even realize what I was looking at . Its right off 1-A south after you come down the hill from Bell Circle.

by efin98

Is it located between where Winthrop Road bridges the right of way of the Eastern mainline and where 1a runs parallel to the the branch and mainline for a brief stretch?

Of all the times I have passed by that area in a car I have never once realized that even existed! Wow what a find! I'll have to try to check it out next time I visit that area.