Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1635826  by WellDayum

Hey :-)

I am a train driver / locomotive engineer based in the UK. I’ve been doing the job 12 years, and I love it. I work for what would be the equivalent of Amtrak on the East Coast and currently teach newbies as well as doing the job myself.

However, life happened and I got married. My plan was for us to stay in the UK, but it hasn’t worked out like that. They’ve now gone back to Cali (their native home) and I’ll be joining them around fall this year.

My question is, and I realise my qualifications in the UK hold no weight whatsoever in the US, but do any of the commuter networks such as ACE, CalTrain, Metrolink recruit directly into the Engineer position? If not, would it be recommended to apply for any position and then attempt to get into the position from within?

In the UK, it’s an exceptionally well paid job with great benefits. I’m not sure it’s quite as good in the US in terms of relative salary and benefits but it’s a job I love and would like to continue if possible. If anyone is able to shed some light on scheduling/rostering principles, typical days, that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks everyone. (Mods if this is in the wrong section, my apologies!) :-D