• Engineer? Fireman?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by NellsChoo

Hi all

OK, I have been learning about railroading since about 2003, and I STILL don't know what you call the "crew". I assume one is an engineer, but is the other still a "fireman"?

Just what are the two people who sit in the cab and run the train these days?

ALSO, who sits on which side of the cab?

Jonelle

by metman499

The current standard road crew is an engineer and a conductor. A locomotive is divided up into the engineer's side and the fireman's side. This is a holdover from the days of steam when there would be a five man crew. Enginer, fireman, and front brakeman in the loco and a conductor and rearbrake in the caboose. The engineer (who sits on the engineer's side) is generally on the left side of the locomotive if you are looking at the short hood. In units set up with the long hood as the front and you are looking down the long hood from the front they are also on the left side. Edit: The conductor sits on the oposite side as will a brakeman if riding in the cab (and assuming there are more than two total seats which isn't always the case).
  by TB Diamond

All "left" and "right" in a locomotive is given when facing the normal direction of movement, not when facing said locomotive. Therefore, the engneer control station is on the right side of the locomotive in all modern short hood units, unless the unit is operated with long hood forward. Some older diesel locos were equipped with dual control stations, one on both sides of the locomotive. Therefore the engineer would be on the right side of the loco when operating with either long or short hood forward. Some units may still be so equipped. On through freight trains the normal crew on Class I roads consists of engineer and conductor. Nowadays, many conductors are dual qualified. Some local freights have engineer and both conductor and brakeman. The position of fireman is about history. Some older engineers with high seniority still retain fireman rights but, barring a very serious loss of business, will never hold the position again.

by BR&P

Regulations require the letter "F" on each side of a locomotive, at the front end. This designates the front of the locomotive, regardless of which direction it is traveling. So it is possible for a TRAIN to be going forward, even though the LOCOMOTIVE is backing up.

That letter "F" comes in handy if you are looking at an older locomotive such as a GP7, to see whether it is considered long-hood or short-hood front. Once you have determined that, inside the cab you can expect to find the contrals on the right hand side. As TB Diamond notes, some older locos had dual stands, one on each side of the cab.

by BoilerBob

I understand about the fireman, but is that all there is to a crew on a through freight? What if the train has to make a pickup or dropoff of cars along the way? Does the conductor do all this work by himself? Can the engineer leave the cab and help?

by jg greenwood

BoilerBob wrote:I understand about the fireman, but is that all there is to a crew on a through freight? What if the train has to make a pickup or dropoff of cars along the way? Does the conductor do all this work by himself? Can the engineer leave the cab and help?
Very few railroads supply brakemen these days. When I worked for the BN in Chaffee, MO. in the late 90's they supplied a brakeman on freights that had, IIRC, two or more set/outs, pick/ups enroute.
On most roads the cond. has all the work by himself. It's pretty well up to the engr. to help the cond. Some are far too lazy to even entertain the idea of throwing a switch! Some conductors prefer the engr. not leave the cab to assist. It's often a choice of the individual crews. I've known engineers that refused to copy a track-warrant while the cond. was on the ground. In one particular case, I'm not sure the engr. had the expertise to copy the dispatchers instructions. :wink:
Last edited by jg greenwood on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by TB Diamond

Some outfits have what is called a utility man. This employe is not assigned to any particular train, but can assist conductors of trains per instructions received from the proper authority.

by roadster

On CSX Engineers are not permited to step off of the loco unattended. Unless he ties down the handbrakes of the locos. As far as track warrants the engineer may take an EC-1 only if the train is stopped. To do otherwise is a violation of operating and safety rules and subjects the engineer to disciplinary actions including dismissal. With operational observations by supervisors nearly constant, pardon me for wishing to keep my job.

by BoilerBob

Would you please repeat that in layman's (non-railroader's) terms.
Tie down, Track Warrant etc?

by jg greenwood

BoilerBob wrote:Would you please repeat that in layman's (non-railroader's) terms.
Tie down, Track Warrant etc?
Tie down the handbrake? Apply the handbrake. When you're instructed to tie your train down means apply a "sufficient" number of handbrakes, set the air-brakes and apply handbrakes on the engine.
Track Warrant Control: (TWC) A method to authorize train movements or protect men or machines on a main track within specified limits in a territory designated by the timetable.
Straight TWC is often known as "dark territory" account of the fact there's no signals. On the other hand, you can also have ABS-TWC which utilizes signals and track warrants.

by BoilerBob

Thanks. That explains alot. Another dumb question, IIRC?

by jg greenwood

BoilerBob wrote:Thanks. That explains alot. Another dumb question, IIRC?
No such thing as a dumb question! IIRC, If I remember correctly. Lazy "computer speak."
IMHO: In my humble opinion
AFAIK: As far as I know

by BoilerBob

How long are railroad crews allowed to work? I seem to remember someone telling me 11 hours and 59 minutes. What happens if a crew is on the road and their time is almost up?
  by TB Diamond

Normally, and must repaeat NORMALLY, a relief crew will be at hand and a crew change location will be relayed via the dispatcher prior to exceeding the hours of service. However, anything goes and a crew that is going dead is obligated by the FRA to stop their train and apply an adequate amount of handbrakes prior to exceeding the hours of service (12', not 11'59"). A train crew can exceed the hours of service only by written instructions from the division superintendant. The RR is up for a fine, however. A dead crew cannot under normal circumstances perform any further duties. When relieved they deadhead to the terminal.

by Form 19

As an Engineer, I couldn't imagine demanding my Conductor come up to the engine simply to copy paperwork or throw a switch. Especially if the guy is busy doing ground work or something else. I was taught that the Conductor isn't a porter that is there to "serve" me and that the more we did the better you get at what you do.

It's understandible on a road where the Engineer is not allowed out of the cab, but on others, nah, he can help.